Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > In the gutters -meaning    

In the gutters -meaning

dackala
Serbia

In the gutters -meaning

Hi to all, 

I have a problem translating "In the gutters" from Orwell 1984, on page 84. In our language it is translated in such a way that it has the meaning on/in the street. The whole sentence is:

" They were born, they grew up in the gutters, they went to work at twelve, they passed through a brief blossoming-period of beauty and sexual desire, they were married at twenty, they were middle-aged at thirty, they died, for the most part, at sixty.

I assume that in the gutters here means to be raised in some kind of waste. As I am not sure what in the gutters means in this part, I would like some help in clarification of the phrase please.

20 Sep 2020      

spinney
United Kingdom

Hi, in this context, and normally, it means in poverty or "from humble origins."  "Gutter" can also mean "sordid" or "vulgar" as in the expression "the gutter press," usually referring to sensationalist newspapers such as British tabloids. Oscar Wilde is the author of the famous quote, "We are all in the gutter but some of us are looking at the stars," which means, more or less, that none of us are all that special but some of us have big dreams and mean to succeed.

The gutter is that part of the road or pavement that channels all fluid waste into the drainage system, by the way. If you were found "in the gutter" then it was assumed that life could not get any worse than that. 

20 Sep 2020     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Excellent explanation from spinney. I think it�s usually �in the gutter� rather than the plural. It kind of matches another phrase we use �dragged up�, rather than �brought up�. �She was dragged up� means she had a poor upbringing. 

20 Sep 2020     

dackala
Serbia

It is from George Orwell 1984, and it is written in the gutters, so I assumed that it meant in some kind of poverty. Thank you all!

22 Sep 2020     

yanogator
United States

I would say that it�s a little stronger than Spinney explained, and would take it to mean "under the worst conditions", since the gutters are where the waste flows.

Bruce 

24 Sep 2020     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Guttersnipe.

25 Sep 2020     

karagozian
France

I think we�re all in this bloody covid gutter now.

25 Sep 2020