Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Teaching material > About teaching material    

About teaching material

s.lefevre
Brazil

About teaching material

Dear all
I have been a member for a long time now, and most of you know me very well. I think the site is marvelous e has helped me and taught mea lot about English material. That�s why I would like to open a discussion and perhaps Victor could also give his opinion. As I am also a moderator, I�m looking closely to the worksheets.It happens very often now, that people send things, that in my opinion can�t be considered worksheets as ( always in my opinion) worksheet means that there should be something to work on. Almost every day now we can find presentations of a grammar point - for instance  to Verb to be in Present tense, negative and positive and interrogativ. No task included. This kind of presentation can be found anywhere, in coursebooks, online. I don�t see why this is called a resource. Same with vocabulary lists. I know that Victor said that they are allowed, but if there is a task. Vocabulary lists also can be found online, so I can�t see the utility. Same with spot the differences. The author copies and pasts a picture , that�s all. Of course, some of them, with exercices are extremely useful.
Please give me your opinion.

20 Sep 2020      

karagozian
France

Same for me dear Silvia. This site has changed my teacher�s life and I am now retired. I wouldn�t be so strict though. After all it is up to the downloaders to decide if a Ws is worth downloading. And then the simple work you are referring to may help some newcomers to start and get some vital points. Our first wss were certainly not masterpieces. Then I remember one of my "lists" being reported. I had been working on it for days. So, well. Let�s give a chance to beginners. Have a nice covidy day.
MONIQUE 

20 Sep 2020     

spinney
United Kingdom

A very interesting point you make there, Silvia.
To a degree, I completely agree with you. I definitely prefer a task after an explanation of grammar points. But I also see what Monique is saying about the beginners and also, I have seen worksheets which are nothing more than images with instructions that have been very useful for getting my students to speak. The same with flashcards. Those things are very, very helpful to me. It would be more productive if there were other tasks but sometimes it is better to keep things simple. 
Although some grammar explanations are very well done, it is always better to have a little task of some kind to help practice afterwards.
Having said that, there are quite a lot of worksheets that are for practicing a grammatical structure even though there are no explanations included.  

20 Sep 2020     

David Lisgo
Japan

Silvia, when I see a worksheet that I cannot consider to be a worksheet, I think "I will trust Silvia on this.", then I will "agree" that it should be removed.

"Worksheets consisting just of lists (such as "Phrasal verbs list" or "Irregular verbs list") are allowed, although they are not recommended because everybody can find them in other websites for free. Of course, they are not allowed if you have copied them from another source."

We used to get a lot of such lists and checking to see if they were copies was a bane. I have made many lists of useful vocabulary over the years as they can help greatly in designing materials, though I have not thought to share them here, but if I do I will at least state their purpose and possible usage. I suppose they are here to stay. 

20 Sep 2020     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Hi Silvia,

We two have been here before;-) I personally think the rules are as clear as they need to be. 

I notice that today, you have reported a number of wss for being just cliparts and we all agree with that. You have also reported a copy of a letter, which is neither use nor ornament, so that is good. Lists are accepted, so I don�t think it�s for us to report them. Do you want Victor to ban them? Let�s see if he does. Imho, some can be helpful and others, not so, so they probably won�t get downloaded. Anything Monique does is wonderful, of course, so I regret her list ws being reported and it sure wasn�t me!;-) I haven�t seen any of the straightforward grammar guides you refer to, but I think they can be considered a resource and some teachers may find them useful. 

I think there is occasionally disagreement on the moderators� page (I think you will agree!) about clipart worksheets. I think if there is an instruction, however simple, then that is fine. Images are the life blood of ESL teaching, particularly for beginners. I think that sets of pictures for sequencing, unless they have been copied, should be allowed - there is a task. Spot the difference exercises are excellent for teaching ESL. Unless these are copied from places they shouldn�t be e.g. other ESL sites or books, they should be allowed, but actually, I don�t think they are allowed on here. They go like hot cakes on islCollective. I have to admit, it is annoying to see these wss having such success when I always include a truckload of exercises with mine!  But if thy are useful, fair enough. 

Tbh, I am amazed that people still go on writing their wss (me included) and uploading them and people go on downloading them. There is so much out there now. There really is no need for any more. But it�s fun! 

Have a nice day everyone (not Covidy though;-)) 
Lynne  

21 Sep 2020     

s.lefevre
Brazil

I agree with mostly all everybody said. Of course, a grammar guide is very important and can help if it is prepared by the members. Most of the time, they are just copies from different grammar sites  taken from the internet and it is difficult to give a page when I want to report them. About the pictures. I agree that the pictures are very important. Most of my worksheets work with pictures. But. if a worksheet is a picture and the direction" describe the pictures", for me is the same as only a copied picture and not a worksheet. But, as you are all ok with it, of course I won�t report it any more. 

21 Sep 2020     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Hang on Silvia, �describe the pictures� isn�t quite enough!  We need a bit more than that. 

21 Sep 2020     

douglas
United States

I am in agreement with Lynne...

22 Sep 2020     

karagozian
France

Yes Lynne, let�s Have fun ! Thank you for your clear explanation with which I can�t but agree. Let�s keep this place what it is. See you ASAP on the site. I am off for a while which is not a good sign usually. Will ba back anyway MONIQUE

22 Sep 2020     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

@Monique - don�t stay away too long. Missing you already. Love your fb posts. Looks like we can post icons again... @Silvia, your wss continue to be amazing. I admire your dedication to ESL. 
Lynne  

23 Sep 2020     

spied-d-aignel
France

Hi there! thanks  to you all for all your good remarks ladies and.............gentlemen. Monique,  hope you will be on the site soon !  I am between two lessons  with my mask on my face and  a terrible headache because  of all the noise they make  with huge works in our school , so today it is hammer drill and crane day all at the same time!!!!Take care , cheers, Sylvie

23 Sep 2020     

1    2    Next >