Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Can anyone help me?    

Can anyone help me?

tancredo
Portugal

Can anyone help me?

Hi, dear colleagues, can we say: 

" I can´t take my eyes out of you? or  should we say as in the song: " Can�t take my eyes off of you" as I read in the lyrics?
Thank you.

29 Sep 2020      

inna_solo
Russian Federation

Hi! �Take (one�s) eyes off (of) someone or something� is an idiom. Thus, you can�t say �I can´t take my eyes OUT OF you�. However, you can slightly modify the phrase by omitting the preposition �of�. Thus, you can say either �I can�t take my eyes off of you� or �I can�t take my eyes off you�.

29 Sep 2020     

savilla
Australia

Inna is right.

A bit off-topic but another eye-related idiom is �only have eyes for�.

For example, �she only has eyes for Bart� means that she doesn�t pay attention to anybody else; only Bart. 
That is, she is only interested in or attracted to Bart. 

29 Sep 2020     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

I don�t like the �off of� bit. I think it�s an Americanism, but there is no need for the �of�. Just: I can�t take my eyes off you.� Another related idiom is �to have a good eye for.� She has a good eye for colour = she chooses nice colours. The idiom: to take someone�s eyes out means to rip them off, cheat them of money. 

30 Sep 2020     

tancredo
Portugal

Hi, everybody!
What I really wanted to know is if the sentence   " can�t take my eyes out of you"  can be used to mean " I can�t stop looking at you"

Thank you very much. 

30 Sep 2020     

karagozian
France

I can� t take my eyes off you.

30 Sep 2020     

Cariboo
France

Your question made me think back to my younger years and this song   : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWHZxXuJFzw

It happens quite  often that I think of a song a title or a sentence to solve a grammatical problem.

Well the choreography is not great but ...very catchy song ...

30 Sep 2020     

tancredo
Portugal

Thank you!

Cariboo, I loved the two boys acompanying the singer! Very spontaneous...

However, my question remains unanswered. I understood that  "I can�t take my eyes off you" means I can�t stop looking at you .

But , please, native people, tell me:

Is it WRONG to say " I can�t take my eyes out of you"?  Does it mean anything else or doesn�t it make any sense at all?

30 Sep 2020     

TeacherARG
Argentina

Tancredo,
I�m not a native speaker but I think I can help you.

The answer is NO. "Take out"  means "remove from a place" (There are other meanings). So if you took your eyes out, you�d be blind.

What they�ve been telling you is that there is an idiomatic expression for the meaning you want to convey.

30 Sep 2020     

tancredo
Portugal

Thank you, all!

30 Sep 2020     

Jayho
Australia

Hi Tancredo

I�m a native speaker

Is it WRONG to say " I can�t take my eyes out of you"? - Yes

Does it mean anything else - No

or doesn�t it make any sense at all? - It doesn�t make any sense at all