Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > A specific question    

A specific question

ninon100
Russian Federation

A specific question

Dear colleagues,
I know we can say "This dress was made specially for you".
But one of my students has written "specifically for you".
Can we say so? If we can, what�s the difference?
Thanks in advance for your help! 

8 Oct 2020      

ureadanny
Costa Rica

This dress suits you!

Specially and specifically are adverbs and they have a special meaning depending on the speaker intention well let�s take a look at the meaning and uses:

Specially is an adverb and means more with one person, thing, etc. than with others, or more in particular circumstances than in othersand the synonim is particularly.

Now, let�s take a look at specifically; it is an adverb and means 1. connected with or intended for one particular thing only and 2. in a detailed and exact way 3.used when you want to add more detailed and exact information.

I would say the right answer is

This dress was mede speacially for you!

Because it means more with a person and a thing.... That�s my humble opinion.

8 Oct 2020     

jacquiepat
Albania

It could be either they are synonyms - I made it especially for you - I made it specifically for you- I made is specially for you.... Gramatically they are all or at least both your propositions are correct. I bought the dress specially/specifically for the occasion - Ambulance sirenes have a specific sound which cannot be confused with police sirenes. i.e. it is particular to the object or the person. Secifically = done with great attention or detail Specially = done with more thought than the others of its kind.

8 Oct 2020     

douglas
United States

First off (I tend to use especially):

especially/ specially
The words especially and specially have just a hair�s breadth of difference between them. Both can be used to mean "particularly." Especially tends to be more formal, while specially tends to be more informal: ... But our words have finer points to them that are worthy of being understood.

Secondly: 
If i use specifically, it sounds more scientific/cold/technical than especially.  The words, as already mentioned are pretty much synonyms, but the emotion/feel is a little different.

my two cents...
Douglas

9 Oct 2020     

ninon100
Russian Federation

Thanks everyone! That�s good to know!

9 Oct 2020