Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Picture inaproppriate?    

Picture inaproppriate?

s.lefevre
Brazil

Picture inaproppriate?

Hi all, 
I got a complaint about one of my recent worksheets :http://www.eslprintables.com/vocabulary_worksheets/places/the_beach/What_happens_in_which_picture__995987/
called : What happens in which picture - at the beach. The picture in the middle is a naive painting and ( I hadn�t noticed, shows a naked lady in the background, coming out of a cabine. The member told me that it was inadmissible in the United States to show such a picture to students. She had used it herself with an adult group and it seems they were shocked. I�m really confused. Could you please give me a hint? Is it immoral? Should I delete the worksheet? Please let me know.

15 Oct 2020      

Akanah
Spain

Hi,
Maybe you could write in the tittle "What happens in which picture - at the beach / adult education due to pictures" What about that? Or just edit it and add a second page with the pics covered?
Ox 

15 Oct 2020     

FrauSue
France

I agree - this is really a cultural difference. The sheet would be fine to use with certain learners in certain countries. I think that Akanah�s idea is best. Just add a note in the description that one picture may not be suitable for use with children/teenagers. I did this with one of my sheets which is Valentine�s Day role-plays, some of which are not very suitable for teenagers, but the activity works well with an adult learners group.
And surely we should all check through the sheets anyway before we use them with our classes?! 

15 Oct 2020     

karagozian
France

LOL !!!
I am amazed to see that teachers use material without even checking it !!  This is just unbelievable. If I were that person I would rather hide myself somewhere instead of complaining about my own uncapicity.  Oh dear do not change anything. Do not delete.
My credo is, if you don�t like it, do not download and/or keep it for yourself.
Do not delete any of your worksheets. Your work is fabulous.
Strange that it comes from .........
Stay safe dearest friend.

Monique

PS: I just had a look at that ws. It�s hilarious.
You could update it with a sort of mask to hide what should be hidden. Haha
Oh ! My students would have had the time of their life.
Where do you get those pictures from ?
Hilarious stuff.
Thank you Silvia

15 Oct 2020     

spinney
United Kingdom

I sometimes mention that my worksheet mentions achohol or sex or something in case somebody from a country where that kind of thing is not treated in the same way as the UK or Spain donwloads it and intends to use it in their class. After all, I wouldn�t want them to get into trouble. However, there is a criteria for age when the sheet is uploaded. Even if that is not checked at an age appropriate to the students, it is clearly the responsibility of the teacher to look the worksheet over before they use it. 
P.S. Very funny picture, by the way. Had me chuckling.  

15 Oct 2020     

karagozian
France

By the way Did That person left a "Thank you" cpmment for your job ? Not even seen the number of comments. I know I am tired and have a number of serious reasons to be. In French we would say "il ne faut pas exag�rer ! Thank you Silvia ! We need fun in this sad world.

15 Oct 2020     

s.lefevre
Brazil

Monique gave me the solution. She put a bath suit on the poor naket woman. So, I�m going to reupload the worksheet awith the two versions. IThank you all for your comments. 

15 Oct 2020     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

I agree that people need to look at wss before downloading. When I was teaching EAL, a couple of years ago now, I was at a boys� secondary school and my students were lads aged 12 - 16  and I am sorry to say, I would not have downloaded that ws. OMG, no! ;-))))) 
Edit: to answer your question, it is beautiful, not at all immoral, but the reaction from students might just make life difficult! Whoop, whoop, whoop!!!

15 Oct 2020     

domif
France

Hi silvia, that�s what I did, without seeing that Monique did the same!! sorry

18 Oct 2020     

karagozian
France

18 Oct 2020     

s.lefevre
Brazil

Thank you all for your collaboration and for the funny,solutions some of you found to keep the world a real moral place. 
Love you! 

18 Oct 2020