Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > will or be going to?    

will or be going to?

rosanaingles
Spain

will or be going to?

Hi there,
Can you help me with the following sentence: 
They have been playing loud music since ten tonight. I ___ (go) next door to complain.
Thanks in advance 

13 Nov 2020      

lillianschild
Argentina

Since your neighbours have been bothering you for many hours, and the music is still loud, you�re making an instant decision: It�s time they stopped. Therefore, the appropriate tense is Simple Future.

"I�ll go next door to complain."

13 Nov 2020     

yanogator
United States

That�s reasonable, but it doesn�t sound quite natural to native ears, because it isn�t immediate enough. The speaker would be saying it while heading to the door.

They have been playing loud music since ten tonight. I�m going next door to complain/ I�m going to go next door to complain.

Bruce 

13 Nov 2020     

redcamarocruiser
United States

I agree with Bruce.

13 Nov 2020     

RicardoBR
Mexico

Yes, me too. I`d write "I will go"

13 Nov 2020     

rosanaingles
Spain

Thanks for your answers. I�m still in doubt. As each student could have understood the situation in a different way, I�m going to accept the 3 forms (will, be going to and present continuous). Thanks again

14 Nov 2020     

yanogator
United States

Yes, all three are correct.

Bruce 

14 Nov 2020     

lillianschild
Argentina

Well, in reality, the choice depends on when you made the decision to go to your neighbours� to complain. I chose Simple Future thinking of what you would say on your way to the door, after reaching the end of your tether

Of course, "going to" also sounds plausible if you made a decision but put it off in the hope they would put an end to the din before you had to resort to knocking on their door. 

14 Nov 2020     

kwsp
United States

I agree with Bruce and Mary. The answer should be in present continuous: "I am going next door to complain (right now)," rather than "I will go next door to complain (tomorrow)." Edit: "will go" implies they will go at an undesignated time in the future, however the person is going NOW because he wants the noise to stop NOW.

14 Nov 2020     

rosanaingles
Spain

Thanks again for your help.

16 Nov 2020