Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Favourite writer.    

Favourite writer.

spinney
United Kingdom

Thank you, Jayho! Wonderful article. A Merry Christmas to all. I will leave you with this wonderful line from Wodehouse:

“Into the face of the young man who sat on the terrace of the Hotel Magnifique at Cannes there had crept a look of furtive shame, the shifty hangdog look which announces that an Englishman is about to speak French.”

24 Dec 2020     

aftab57
United Kingdom

All, All, All,  I read less now but my all time favourite ( again like Spinney I do not know why) is Anne of Green Gables by Lucy, M. Montgomery. I have in my own Urdu language authors like Naseem Hijazi, Ibn e Safi. Love fantasy books...the Sword of Shannara series is my favourite. Idries Shah for his Sufism and Tahir Shah for his Travel literature.

25 Dec 2020     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Love that quote, Spinney! I have just quoted it to my family who had a good chuckle.

25 Dec 2020     

spinney
United Kingdom

@ Lynne:
Yep, just wonderful, that.
Here�s a couple more that I love. They always make me smile, no matter how many times I read them.

“An apple a day, if well aimed, keeps the doctor away.”

“He had the look of one who had drunk the cup of life and found a dead beetle at the bottom.”

“I could see that, if not actually disgruntled, he was far from being gruntled.”

“What ho!" I said.
"What ho!" said Motty.
"What ho! What ho!"
"What ho! What ho! What ho!"
After that it seemed rather difficult to go on with the conversation.”

“Mike nodded. A sombre nod. The nod Napoleon might have given if somebody had met him in 1812 and said, "So, you�re back from Moscow, eh?”

“Yes, sir,� said Jeeves in a low, cold voice, as if he had been bitten in the leg by a personal friend.”

25 Dec 2020     

savilla
Australia

Another vote for Terry Pratchett!
Douglas Adams, Bryce Courtenay, Kerry Green, James Clavell, JK Rowling, Haruki Murakami, Martina Cole.
That�ll do for now  

25 Dec 2020     

douglas
United States

Robert Heinlein, Kurt Vonnegut Jr., & Robert Silverberg have always been my "go to" writers

and a shout out to George RR Martin for so easily killing-off protagonists... and for creating a world I spend much of my time in as a PARA-RPer.

PARA-RP (I do GoT vs Gorean, but the writing styles are the same): 

https://dailygorean.wordpress.com/rp-guides/rp-resourcesexample/

Douglas

29 Dec 2020     

maryse pey�
France

We must not forget Oscar Wilde, Beatrix Potter...

29 Dec 2020     

< Previous   1    2