Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > Word of the Week: Jan 2021    

Word of the Week: Jan 2021

douglas
United States

Word of the Week: Jan 2021

Hi and Happy New Year all!

I haven´t seen a Word of the day/week in a long time so here you go:

MOUNTWEAZEL

I´m interested to see what kind of funny definitions you all come up with (please do not share the actual definition).

Cheers,
Douglas

6 Jan 2021      

mitokondri
Turkey

Hello there! :)

If you are interested, you can follow my instagram account. Every day, I share a new word.

I hope you like it.

https://www.instagram.com/englishwithmissmaci/?hl=en 

6 Jan 2021     

spinney
United Kingdom

Oh, that�s easy. I had a load of mountweazels in my garden last year. They are similar to moles, but they are longer, have good eyesight, and leave very large mounds behind them. 

6 Jan 2021     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Actually, it�s when you misunderstand, or mishear, the lyrics of a song. Famous examples are : Every time you go away, you take a piece of meat with you. (Paul Young)...And it�s a piece of me. Here is another: �We built this city on sausage rolls and that should be rock and roll�.  So, how did this come about? A  young American lady, or maybe it was a man, well it was definitely an artist, or maybe it was Frenchwoman Monique. Anyway, s/he was listening to a song about art. The line went: �then mount your easel� and she heard: yes - mountweazel! Ever since then (1823), we have used this term. 

6 Jan 2021     

FrauSue
France

The mountweazel is a fast-growing plant with hard, knotty roots, causing havoc with underground pipes and buildings� foundations. It is illegal to plant or even buy and sell mountweazel across a number of countries worldwide. 

6 Jan 2021     

maryse pey�
France

Oh let me think about that...

Isn�t it the Mount where the Witch of the Weather for the good health of the Hazel Nuts lives ?

Afficher l’image source 

6 Jan 2021     

Gurnoor
Switzerland

IT�S A MISNOMER.
ACTUALLY, MOUNT WEASEL ISN�T A MOUNTAIN AT ALL! IT�S A SORT OF A DUNGEON FOUND IN  DEEP IRREGULAR STINKY SPIKEY VALLEYS, WHERE THE LION-HEARTED SORT, (NOT THE WEAZEL HEARTED SORT) LIKE TO GO TO TEST THEIR METTLE AGAINST THE WRATH OF A VARIETY OF POISIONOUS IVY, SLIPPERY FUNGI, AND DEADLY FOUR LEGGED SPIDERS. THESE DARE-DEVIL-SORT OF ADVENTURE SEEKERS, LIKE TO ADRESS THIS EXTREMELY UNFRIENDLY PIT AS MOUNTWEAZEL. 
PERHAPS THEY FEEL THAT BY CALLING IT A MOUNT, IT WON�T FEEL LIKE SUCH A PIT IN THE GROUND.
AND, BY CALLING IT WEAZEL, THEY WILL VERY SIMPLY... FEEL BRAVE.  

6 Jan 2021     

douglas
United States

Gotta give this one to Dale, the vision of mountainous mole hills in my garden was quite scary.

A mountweasel is actually a fictitious entry into a document so publishers can easily fish-out copyright infringement -- had never heard the word before.

This article gives some insight:

https://www.thoughtco.com/mountweazel-words-term-1691330

Happy Tuesday!

Douglas

12 Jan 2021