Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Simple past    

Simple past

tommy1996
Vietnam

Simple past

Is ir right if we dont need change simole past in reported speech? He said "I bought a car" She said (that) she had bought a car OR She said (that) she bought a car. Both are right? Thanks

13 Jan 2021      

cunliffe
United Kingdom

You need to push the tense back one, so it should be: she said that she had bought a car. This is British English. 

14 Jan 2021     

redcamarocruiser
United States

In American English, both are correct. They had bought a car sounds more formal to me, and bought a car sounds normal.

I wonder how it is in Austrailian and Canadian English and other Englishes, as well. 

14 Jan 2021     

jfelipenaranjo
Colombia

Jack C Richards from Cambridge press in his INTERCHANGE course books uses the change from past to past perfect.
Me, I think both are OK in spoken English but I would much rather use past perfect in written texts or tests in order to increase my score about vocabulary and grammar knowledge.  

14 Jan 2021