Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Word of the Week    

Word of the Week

spinney
United Kingdom

Word of the Week

Well, well, well!
There was me getting all downhearted because Marion had pipped me at the post, and then I noticed that Douglas had chosen me on Tuesday for Word of the Week (formally known as WOD).
 So, without further ado, I hereby present my contribution to this week`s Word of the Week.

The word in question is:  
                                                BAWBEE  

See you next week to announce the winner. Good luck and good weekend! 

15 Jan 2021      

cunliffe
United Kingdom

A bawbee is a very rich, affluent person who is also a philanthropist. The word derives from the Greek God Barbeephanes who was the God of Munificence. There is a TV programme in the UK called �Have you been Bawbee�d?� which interviews people who have benefited from a Bawbee. I wish I could meet one... 

15 Jan 2021     

karagozian
France

A Bobby or a Bobbie ????

16 Jan 2021     

paradise lost
Tunisia

I think A BAWBEE is kind of Scottish monnaie.. that is toooo old

16 Jan 2021     

maryse pey�
France

Of course I will  BAn the Wrinkles due to the BEEr !

Afficher l’image source 

16 Jan 2021     

David Lisgo
Japan

It�s definitely Shakespearean in nature. I believe Shakespeare�s original lines were "to be or be not" with the olde spelling of "to b-aw-bee not", so in a sense it means exactly what it says. 

18 Jan 2021     

redcamarocruiser
United States

A baw bee is a bee that makes exceedingly good honey, but it is a very aggressive strain, so it is hard to gather any honey.

18 Jan 2021     

savilla
Australia

Believe it or not, a bawbee is a Brown And White Banana Eating Elephant. They are found in certain parts of Africa and since 2018 have been identified as an IUCN Red List Critically Endangered species.

18 Jan 2021     

douglas
United States

Bawbee: What the nouveau rich call London Cops.

21 Jan 2021     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Hey Douglas, do you know what a cr�che is? A collision between two cars in Kensington. Big smile

21 Jan 2021     

karagozian
France

Well Douglas, in French we call them bobos !

22 Jan 2021