Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Grammar question    

Grammar question

Pedro14
Spain

Grammar question

Hi there, I have always taught that regardless of is like despite or in spite of. However, I have come across the following sentence in which the correct answer is regardless of, although in spite of is also given as a possible correct answer. I usually stay at home... of the weather and have a lazy day. Why in spite of is not correct in this sentence? Thanks in advance.

16 Feb 2021      

douglas
United States

when you use despite or in spite of, you are "defying" it (as in rebelling against it).  With regardless, you are more ignoring it or not really considering it a factor rather than going up against it.

16 Feb 2021     

aee.aee
Slovenia

@douglas Thank you for explaining the difference between despite and regardless. 
Now that you have pointed it out, it does feel like "rebelling" in the first case and "ignoring" in the second. 
These subtle differences are not innate to us, non-native speakers.  
Thank you.  

16 Feb 2021     

Pedro14
Spain

@douglas Thanks a bunch for such a clear explanation. I couldn�t find any information about any subtle difference in usage of these linkers.

18 Feb 2021