Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > HELLO teachers    

HELLO teachers

harelyta
Peru

HELLO teachers

Hello dear teachers:

I need your suggestions, please. I teach secondary level and I want to make my students speak in class a lot. Of course, first they have to feel sure and know the oral expression is very important in English. I was thinking about riddles, tongue twisters at the beginning of the class. Do you have more ideas? Maybe you have includes some oral projects in your class. What about the results? 
Thanks in advance for your comments.

Regards

By the way, in our country, we continue with virtual classes.  

10 Mar 2021      

englishchris
Germany

Hi there,

A game from my drama class repertoire, that I love using with older students in my English lessons is "Edgewise".

You play it like that: You need to prepare a number of or sentences, which don�t make any sense. Like: "Jane always takes her bin to the grocer�s on Monday." or "We prefere vanilla ice cream with our stew."

Two of your students draw a sentence, or you give it to them via private message when remote, than, they have to do a small conversation where they have to put in the sentence. For beginners, you can give them some time to prepare, for more advanced players I would let them start talking immediately.

The rest of the class has to guess what the sentence was. The game is great because it fosters creativity and since it is a bit competitive my students usually give their everything to lead the rest of the class down the wrong path.

You can also use it to revise grammar points by putting all sentences into the past simple or the present progressive.

10 Mar 2021     

s.lefevre
Brazil

You can give the students a subject and they have to talk a few minutes about it. They could even prepare it at home. 
Or  you could do such an exercise it in pairs : Each pair discusses a subject for a few minutes. Start using commun situation about the daily life and interests of your students. 
There are also lots of speaking games on the site that you can use as an introduction.

11 Mar 2021     

jjay85
Trinidad and Tobago

Hi, you can have them write short journals on given topics/ a given topic/prompt on the previous day and have them share their writings at the beginning of the next session. They can read it directly or speak freely about what they wrote. Topics could come in the form of: - My favorite pastime/ memory - My favorite meal/ comfort food - Goals for the next 6months -How has COVID 19 changed me? -My favorite singer/actress/youtuber/ TikTok-er

11 Mar 2021     

sarguero
Spain

1.- You can use a Youtube videoclip with a popular song you choose and then make comments about what they have seen in the video: the singer or group, the lyrics, the images, landscapes.... what things they like or not and so on.

2.- Also, they can choose to represent a popular person: singer, player, actor, scientist... and then, the classmates can make questions about the character they chose.

11 Mar 2021     

harelyta
Peru

GREAT IDEAS dear teachers! I really appreciate your help. Really nice!

Regards from PERU 

11 Mar 2021     

Sunny park
Korea, South

role playing! after watching short video or learning some vacab/expressions. you can give them the time they can speak out!

12 Mar 2021     

svevar
Italy

Hello! I sometimes use taboo have cards and I divide them in teams. 

15 Mar 2021     

harelyta
Peru

wow, teachers..Thanks for sharing your ideas. I read them ...

Thanks a bunch 

21 Mar 2021