Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Answer this question    

Answer this question

normandey
Egypt

Answer this question

Do you know where ............................... the previous day?

a) Dina went
b) did Dina go
c) Dina had gone 
d) had Dina gone

10 May 2021      

Phuc0000
Vietnam

a)

10 May 2021     

mfraczek
France

a) Went (Indirect speech after the verb know)

10 May 2021     

Фёдор
Russian Federation

Hello, dear friends!
I think, that the right answer is the letter  "a".
Best wishes,
Fedor. 

10 May 2021     

yanogator
United States

I�m going against the trend here, but "the previous day" stands out in this sentence. It indicates that the original direct statement had said "yesterday".

Based on that, I reconstruct the original statement as "Where did Dina go yesterday?"

Using the "rules" of reported speech, we move the verb tense back, so the formal answer would be
      Do you know where Dina had gone the previous day? 

However, in common speech, especially in the US, just about everyone would say "Do you know where Dina went the day before?"

Bruce 

10 May 2021     

douglas
United States

I�m kind of with Bruce on this. I didn�t give an answer because I am undecided between  a and c. I tend towards c, but can�t give a good reason why a is wrong.

11 May 2021     

Aisha77
Spain

I must say when I went to Ireland I had my grammar pretty fresh and I would always say "had gone" as you both say, but listening to Irish people for years I started to use the past tense also... 
I found this page from BBC where they use the verb "went" in the same sentence...

Have a wonderful week you all!
Aisha ;) 

11 May 2021     

L. habach
Morocco

I�d say C.

11 May 2021     

yanogator
United States

@Aisha,
Don�t forget that my choice was based on the words "the previous day". Your example uses "last night", and if normandey�s sentence had been "Do you know where ..........................yesterday", I, too, would have chosen a.

Now that I have thought more about it, I  will say that c is the only correct answer, because "Do you know where Dina went the previous day?" just doesn�t sound good, because of "the previous day" instead of "yesterday."

Bruce 

11 May 2021     

Aisha77
Spain

Fair enough!! You are right!  That�s why I love so much this place!!!!! 
Do you know?? I have troubles also in Spanish when explaining things that I just know how to tell them but don�t know the reason it should be that way... My husband is from Morocco and he speaks perfect Spanish, but sometimes he questions things that I don�t,  for the same reason I said: as a native, I talk but don�t wonder whether it should be this way or the other... 
Have a lovely rest of the week!! Cheers! ;)
Aisha  

11 May 2021     

normandey
Egypt

Thanks for all your posts. Really , I appreciate them all. Great thanks to yanogator .

11 May 2021