Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Adjective or Adverb?    

Adjective or Adverb?

ronit85
Israel

Adjective or Adverb?

In the following sentences:
Adjective or Adverb? Which is correct and WHY?

He got a new phone for free/freely.
They were swinging so high/highly that she got scared. 
The gardener had to dug deep/deeply before planting the lemon tree. 
Thanks,
Ronit 

25 May 2021      

redcamarocruiser
United States

He got the phone FOR free. (After a preposition use the adjective).

They were swinging SO high. (After an adverb we use an adjective).

He had to dig deep. (Deep is an adjective describing the area. Deeply would sound strange because it would describe how he was digging. Example: He dug rapidly describes how he dug, but not the area).

https://wordtype.org/of/deep Scroll down to see the first definition of deep used as an adjective meaning �having its bottom far down�. This is how I thought about the example. But the source word type.org is not authoritative. It contradicts more trustworthy sources below. 

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/deep Dictionary.com which is a reliable source, lists deep as an adverb like Aisha said, with the example
 to or at a considerable or specified depth: 
The boat rode deep in the water�

This worksheet gives examples like Aisha�s explanation https://www.k12reader.com/adverbs/Adverb4_Can_Tell_Where , so after my research I have learned that adverbs can tell where, as Aisha pointed out. Thanks Aisha!

25 May 2021     

ronit85
Israel

Thank you so much. 

25 May 2021     

Aisha77
Spain

An adverb modifies a verb, this means if you use "freely, highly or deeply" there should be a verb after, such as "highly recommended, freely bought or deeply carved"... Deep is an adjective and in your sentence, it should be an adverb as modifies the verb "dig", but in this case the adjective deep works as an adverb... About "for free" is just as simple as to learn it this way, as this expression works as an adverb...
About high it also works as an adverb here, and highly would be used only as I wrote before or in sentences like "highly toxic..." where highly is an intensifier of an adjective... 

Sometimes it�s better to learn many sentences with this type of structures and try to use them on your daily basis, rather than wondering why or why not, because English grammar is quite complicated, as the same word can work as many things depending on the context...  Once your ear is used to the expressions you immediately know well if that is correct or not...

25 May 2021     

ronit85
Israel

Aisha - I totally agree with you and the truth is I was quite sure about the correct choices, but could not remember how to explain this to my student who is very "rule" oriented. She must know why!!!
Anyways - a good thing so I refreshed my knowledge with your help
Thanks 

25 May 2021     

yanogator
United States

Strictly speaking, the first sentence should be "He got the new phone free", because the preposition "for" should be followed by a noun or pronoun, not an adjective. However, "for free" has become so common in recent years (and I think is used more than "free") that it is now accepted (except by curmudgeons like me).

Bruce 

26 May 2021     

ronit85
Israel

Bruce,
Not only did I improve my knowledge about getting things free........ I learned what a  curmudgeon is!!! (googled it of course!)
Thanks a lot
Ronit 

27 May 2021