Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > WOD June 4th    

WOD June 4th

redcamarocruiser
United States

WOD June 4th

Hello All, My oh my! I just came across this word, and think it is the percect candidate for the Word of the Day contest. Who is game to play a round? Rules: post a silly, funny, or clever made up definition--not the true definition 🤔. I can�t wait to see what you come up with. The WOD is "snollygoster" .

3 Jun 2021      

maryse pey�
France

Oh yes I know this !

It is Snoopy�s holy ghost Easter !!

Afficher l’image source Afficher l’image source

4 Jun 2021     

Aisha77
Spain

When the bassist Adam Nolly goes for oysters he is "snollygostering"... ;)

4 Jun 2021     

FrauSue
France

"Snollygoster" is a word which was used in Britain around the 1930s to express shock, amazement or frustration. 
"Oh snollygoster! We�ve missed the last train home!" 

6 Jun 2021     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Have you heard of the Dementors? The ghastly beings in JK Rowling�s Harry Potter, who suck the life out of anything and everything good? Good old JK based these characters on the real life snollygosters. They exist, indeed, you probably know one or two. They cast a dark cloud over everything and do their best to dishearten and to discourage. Here is the etymology: nolly = good, kind, adding an s transforms the word into its opposite. Goster = to tease out, or wheedle out. 
We don�t allow snollygosters on eslprintables, thank God for small mercies.  

6 Jun 2021     

savilla
Australia

Snollygoster is a word used by zoomers to describe an iPhone that is more than approximately one year old.
Models prior to 11 and 12 were developed at Apple by the spooky-looking and very pale Jason Snolly.

"Oh dude; you�re still using that snollygoster? Sksksksks So cringey"

8 Jun 2021     

spinney
United Kingdom

A snollygoster is a medical condition that affects one´s snollies. I had better not go into any more detail. 

10 Jun 2021