Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Correct grammar    

Correct grammar

izulia
China

Correct grammar

Hello, please could you help with these two grammar questions?

1) The exhibition called �The 18th Century Art� opens/is opening next weekend. I understand that when we talk about scheduled programs, timetables, etc., the Present Simple is used to express future. For some reason I feel like �is opening� sounds better here, but it was given as the wrong answer. Could it be possible that BOTH choices are right?

2) Why don�t you join us /aren�t you joining us on this trip? The option �Why don�t you join us� sounds more natural to me)) but it was also marked as the wrong answer.

These sentences are from the Liveworksheets.com created by other talented teachers but just wanted to check if the correct options were right? Would appreciate some help!!!

Thank you 

8 Jul 2021      

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Yep - both options are OK in both those questions.

8 Jul 2021     

yanogator
United States

Lynne is right, and I�ll go into some detail about the differences.

In the first one, "opens" is a statement of the facts of the schedule. It is somewhat impersonal sounding. "Is opening" sounds more conversational. Both are definitely correct and commonly used.

Why don�t you joins us? is by far the best answer. It is an invitation.
Why aren�t you joining us? indicates that the person has decided not to go, and the speaker here is wanting to know the reason for it. It is grammatically correct, but indicates a situation that hasn�t been expressed, so it is correct, but it isn�t the best response.

I hope this helps you.

Bruce 

8 Jul 2021     

etharcarter147
United Kingdom

dafsg

8 Jul 2021     

izulia
China

Thank you so much for your help! Much appreciated

9 Jul 2021     

bondjunior
Australia

Hello! I have a great solution for you if you have problems with writing in English! You can use  EssayGeeks essay writing service. People there can help you with grammar problems and also can write everything for you! So you can stop worrying about grammar at all!

12 Jul 2021