Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > WORD DAFFYNITIONS    

WORD DAFFYNITIONS

Gurnoor
Switzerland

WORD DAFFYNITIONS

Thank you very much indeed for the honor Douglas! I am certain you will have perfected the wand movement required to use the spell, perfectly by now and I am also certain that someone in the wizarding world would have noticed that so don�t be surprised if someone in a pointy hat is on the other side ensuing that knock on your door. Here�s the new word for your wacky yet lettered daffynations. Have fun with it!

SALDUGATE

27 Jul 2021      

redcamarocruiser
United States

Saldugate is like Watergate,Climategate,and Emailgate: a scandal in which bribes were paid to farmers to plant salad seeds that had been genetically modified to include human fat cells, which turned a low calorie food into a high calorie, high-fat food. The GMO salads have been implicated in risky rises in LDLs, the "bad" cholesterol.

27 Jul 2021     

savilla
Australia

Aha, nice try @Gurnoor but this is a made-up word, and actually does not exist!

Just kidding. In fact a saldugate is a rare gemstone. It�s bright red and in a certain light can appear blue or sometimes gold. They are only found in Switzerland, and I am speculating here but I think that�s probably why Gurnoor is familiar with saldugates. 

27 Jul 2021     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Oh Lord, Gurnoor. Saldugate is the Stairway to Heaven. I expect to ascend it one day in the hopefully very distant future. 
Sal = soul, duga = stair, te = way (Olday Anglish).

28 Jul 2021     

maryse pey�
France

Oh this is the Sales of the 2nd-hand items at the Duke�s main Gate !

Afficher l’image source 

30 Jul 2021     

FrauSue
France

You might know that salt used to be a very expensive and highly prized substance - hence why we are paid a "salary" in English.

Well, to enter certain towns in medieval times, you had to pay a salt tax at the gate. This tax was the saldugate and a guard could order you to saldugate before unlocking the entryway. Only those who saldugated satisfactorily would be admitted.

1 Aug 2021     

Gurnoor
Switzerland

BONJOUR MY DEARS,

SALDUGATE, THE NEW AND "APPARENTLY" NOT SO NEW WORD HAS BEEN UP FOR A WEEK NOW AND I THINK IT�S TIME TO PASS THE BATON ON.
THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR CLEVER DAFFYNATIONS. READING THEM ONE WONDERS HOWCOME THESE DEFINITIONS ARE ABSENT FROM OUR DICTIONARIES! 
SALDUGATE, THE STAIRWAY TO HEAVEN, A PRECIOUS RED GEM NATIVE TO SWITZERLAND, A SCANDAL FIT FOR A POTENTIAL HORROR FILM, AND OF COURSE THE  SECOND HAND TREASURES (MY BOOK SHELVES ARE FULL OF THEM.)
ON POPULAR VOTE FROM FRIENDS AND FAMILY FROM CANADA, HOLLAND AND INDIA, THE WINNING DAFFYNATION IS ... SALT PAID AS TAX TO OPEN THE GATE. 
FRAUSUE, THANK YOU AGAIN, THE BATON IS PASSED TO YOU! :) 

3 Aug 2021     

FrauSue
France

Thank you, Gurnoor! But what does it really mean?

3 Aug 2021     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Stairway to Heaven. I told you, but nobody would believe me. WinkLOL

3 Aug 2021     

Gurnoor
Switzerland

SO SORRY!

WELL, SALDUGATE IS A WORD MADE UP OUT OF THE LETTERS OF THE NAME "DOUGLAS" WHO SO KINDLY CHOSE MY DAFFYNATION:

IT ACTUALLY DOES INDEED REFER TO THE STAIRWAY TO HEAVEN WHICH ITSELF IS BEAUTIFULLY CARVED IN A VERY PRECIOUS RED STONE THAT IS SOLELY FOUND DEEP INSIDE CERTAIN SNOW COVERED MOUNTAINS. TO ACCESS IT, ONE MUST EARN CREDITS IN LIFE WITH THE SALT AND SWEAT OF HARDWORK, MAINTAINING AN UNCURRUPTED MIND, BODY AND SOUL THROUGH FOLOWING THE PRINCIPLE OF SIMPLE LIVING AND HIGH THINKING. 

SO YOU SEE? YOU ALL HAD THE CORRECT MEANING, ALBEIT IN PARTS. :) :) :) :)  

3 Aug 2021