Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Doubt    

Doubt

lizamuni
Argentina

Doubt

Hi everyone!
Please can you help me!!!
A studen has told me that in her school class she has learnt a rule about verbs work, live and come in presente simple third person singular. They don�d add "s" because they are "verbos permanentes" in Spanish.
Did I miss something!! 
 Hope you have an answer about it.
Liza 

9 Aug 2021      

redcamarocruiser
United States

Works, lives, and comes are correct. Your student�s rule is wrong.

9 Aug 2021     

spinney
United Kingdom

He work in a bank, or she live over there, or even he come here in the morning, would all sound well and good in a rap song or perhaps in a rustic pub in the UK, but it would be extremely colloquial and of a particular dialect. It would not be standard English by a long shot. I certainly would not advise it for an exam. Whoever told you that must have been joking. Or perhaps "he don�t know what he are talking about." 

9 Aug 2021     

lizamuni
Argentina

Thank you very much  redcamarocruiser and spinney!!
I thought I had to start learning English again!! 

9 Aug 2021     

alvalen
United States

The only time I have seen verbs in present simple third person singular with no S is when we talk about God (I�m talking about proper English, because in rap songs it�s true what spinney says, they throw out the rules)

Examples: God save the queen, God help us, God bless you, ...
I can�t remember what this is called ...Ok, I googled it, it�s called subjunctive mood. Have a nice day!

19 Aug 2021     

douglas
United States

I suspect your student was mixing-up their lesson on stative/static verbs.

https://www.perfect-english-grammar.com/stative-verbs.html

Cheers,
Douglas

20 Aug 2021     

Anita
Argentina

Wow! i�m speechless!!

25 Aug 2021     

Minka
Slovenia

Aren�t alvalen�s examples really imperatives? Like saying, Help us, God, God, please help us. Please, save the Queen etc.?

The -s is omitted in the subjunctive mood as well, but I don�t think this is it. 

Thank you in advance for your replies, I would really like to know if I understand this properly.

Minka 

1 Sep 2021