Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > what does it refer to?    

what does it refer to?

oiseau bleu
Tunisia

what does it refer to?

WHAT DO THE UNDERLINED WORDS REFER TO?
 During my last visit to South Sudan. I saw children being supported and saved thanks to the work of the dedicated women and men of UNICEF. By helicopter, we visited Ganyiel — a remote area. The town has poor road access, making it hard for humanitarian workers to reach. 

16 Dec 2021      

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Hi, I can see that it is underlined and it refers to Ganyiel, the town. 

17 Dec 2021     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Hi, I can see that it is underlined and it refers to Ganyiel, the town. 

17 Dec 2021     

oiseau bleu
Tunisia

you are right
thank you so much for your help

17 Dec 2021     

class centre
Belarus

Good morning,
in my book it reads ... makes IT easy for birds to fly...
i presume that IT here refers to fly.
As for the area in the previous sentence,IT looks  like logical, but cant�t it refer to REACH?

19 Dec 2021     

yanogator
United States

For your second question, class centre, "it" is the direct object of the verb reach, so, as Lynne said, it refers to the town.

In your sentence, though, the intransitive verb "fly" doesn�t have a direct object, so "it" serves a different purpose. I don�t know the formal grammar term for this, but we have a construction of make+it+adjective, and your sentence is a case of this. It seems to me that "it" doesn�t actually refer to anything in this case. It just supplies a necessary direct object for "makes".

My pain makes it difficult for me to concentrate.
His friendliness makes it easy to like him.

I hope this helps, and would welcome any explanation of the formal grammar of this.

Bruce 

20 Dec 2021     

class centre
Belarus

thank you so much, Bruce! Now I have it clear :))))

21 Dec 2021     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

I was wondering the same thing as Bruce and how I would have explained it if the original sentence had read �................... , making it hard for humanitarian workers to reach it.� 

Lynne  

21 Dec 2021