Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Need help with Identifying the expression...    

Need help with Identifying the expression...

brahmam
India

Need help with Identifying the expression...

Dear teachers, I found the following question in an exam paper. Which of the options, do you think, is correct? 

I wonder if you could solve this problem! 
A. Expressing surprise 
B. Expressing doubt 
C. Expressing opinion 
D. Expressing possibility

4 Feb 2022      

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Well, I think you can express all four, so every option is correct. Did the question have a short paragraph or sentence above it that the question was referring to, maybe? 

Edit. Sorry, I misunderstood and for some reason thought the sentence in red �I wonder...� was part of the request for help, rather than part of the question. It is not quite a request for support in giving help to solve the problem, so I suppose it is expressing possibility as niksailor says. It seems a strange question! 

4 Feb 2022     

brahmam
India

Actually, there is no context.

4 Feb 2022     

niksailor
Russian Federation

I�d choose D because if we remove �I wonder...� from the sentence and make all the necessary changes, our sentence will be like �Could you solve this problem?�, which, in my view, can clearly express the possibility of doing the action in the past. That�s what the sentence seems to express at first glance.  

4 Feb 2022     

kwsp
United States

I too believe that D is the correct answer - I wonder if you could possibly solve this problem! As soon as I saw "I wonder" I thought to myself EMBEDDED QUESTION! Here are a couple of websites that explain the construction of embedded questions. 

Also, I think I wonder if you could solve this problem!  could be considered making a polite request, although a rather urgent polite request since there is an exclamation point at the end of the sentence. Here are a couple of links about polite requests.

4 Feb 2022     

douglas
United States

Because they use "could" versus "can" (conditionals--past tenses express doubt), I think I would go with B versus D. If they had used "can" I would say D.

11 Feb 2022     

JackPonting
United Kingdom

Great to know that we can discuss our educational problem here and get a solution. Now I want to forward this post to my students so they can get also solution of their difficulties. Jack, Dissertation writer at Quality Dissertation - http://www.qualitydissertation.co.uk/ in UK.

18 Feb 2022     

brahmam
India

Thank you all for the help.

13 Mar 2022