Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Adj/adv    

Adj/adv

tommy1996
Vietnam

Adj/adv

Hold it tight! Please tell me if the word �tight� is adjective or adverb.Thanks a lot

8 Feb 2022      

niksailor
Russian Federation

It is an ADVERB.

Here is the evidence:

ADV-GRADED: ADV after V If you hold someone or something tight, you hold them firmly and securely [quoted from the relevant entry in CollinsCobuild Dictionary]

9 Feb 2022     

almaz
United Kingdom

Yes, �tight� there is what�s known as a flat adverb (it has the same form as the corresponding adjective). There is, though, a difference in use between the bare form and the –ly form. As Merriam-Webster�s Dictionary of English Usage (for my money, easily the best usage reference guide available) puts it:

By and large, however, the two words are used in distinct ways. Tight almost always follows the verb it modifies. It occurs especially in such idioms as freeze tight, sit tight, and sleep tight, as well as with such verbs as hold, close, squeeze, and shut. Tightly is a somewhat more common word which is used both before and after the verb or participle it modifies.

10 Feb 2022     

SmithLauren
United Kingdom

I am regularly working on Google sheets and found here useful tips on how we can transform sheets to Live worksheets that can help you while offline and online. Lauren, https://www.resumefolks.com/

17 Feb 2022