Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Help))))    

Help))))

lissikomi
Русскl

Help))))

Secondly, only a real dog can have a deep affection for its hosts. A deep affection or deep affection. Do we need an articke here? First, virtual dogs are much easier to look after. They needn�t taking out for a walk. They needn�t washing and brushing. Is it right to use the gerund after needn�t? Or is it better to say needn�t be taken, needn�t be washed, needn�t be brushed?

26 Feb 2022      

yanogator
United States

I can answer your first question. It is correct with or without the article. Your second question involves a very British usage, so I can�t help you with that. In the US, we don�t even use "needn�t".

Bruce 

28 Feb 2022     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

I agree with Bruce on the first one - either usage is fine, however, I think people mainly go for using the article - a deep affection. 
They needn�t taking out etc is wrong. They don�t need taking out etc is right. But with needn�t, you have to say : they needn�t be taken out etc.  

28 Feb 2022