Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Please help me with some grammar doubts...    

Please help me with some grammar doubts...

Goodboyboy
Brazil

Please help me with some grammar doubts...

Hello everyone, I have to correct some exercises and I am terribly in doubt...

1. He had a feeling THAT something terrible was going to happen...
> Is it possible to substitute THAT by WHICH? (It sounds unnatural for me)

2. MY brother�s car is brand new, HIS girlfriend�s is kind of old....
MY = possessive adjective (there is a direct object right after the possessive)
HIS = possessive adjective (there is an indirect object right after the possessive)
 I am not sure if the HIS, in this case is a possessive adjective or a possessive pronoun... because of the direct and indirect object... 

Can you please helpe me?

Thanks a million.

♥ 

5 Mar 2022      

yanogator
United States

Hi, Goodboyboy
I�m glad that "which" sounds unnatural in your first sentence, because it is wrong. "That" can be removed, but it can�t be replaced by "which". So, you have two choices:
  He had a feeling that something terrible was going to happen.
  He had a feeling something terrible was going to happen.

In your second situation, first, those are not direct and indirect objects, but that is another lesson. The two sentences aer correct. In the second one, the word "car" has been removed, because it is understood. The full sentence is "His girlfriend�s car is kind of old." Also, those two independent clauses should be separated by a period or a semicolon, not a comma.

Here are some other examples.
My explanation is good. Someone else�s might be better.
This test is difficult, but yesterday�s was fairly easy.
Your mother�s brigadeiros are delicious. My mother�s aren�t quite as good.

Bruce 

5 Mar 2022     

Goodboyboy
Brazil

Hi Bruce, thanks for your help... and in terms of pronouns... 

My car  = possessive adjective
His = is being use as a possessive adjective or a possessive pronoun? 
 His girlfriend�s (is the noun, correct?)
Thank you for yout time. 

5 Mar 2022     

Joelica
Netherlands

Hi Goodboyboy, My = possessive adjective His = possessive adjective Because it shows who owns the OBJECT... (my CAR / his GIRLFRIEND) Mine = possessive pronoun His = possessive pronoun Same thing but usually these pronouns come at the end of the sentence and the object is not mentioned again. A: His girlfriend is kind of old. B: Whose? A: His. His girlfriend is kind of old. His girlfriend = possessive adjective BUT for sentence structure:(noun+verb+adjective) His girlfriend is kind of old. Noun= His girlfriend + predicate= is kind of old. Noun= His girlfriend verb= is adjective= kind of old. So, you are correct on both accounts but using two different grammar categories, noun for sentence structures and possessive adjectives/pronouns for determining word categories. To help in the future just put it in a question: Who is kind of old? His girlfriend. = possessive adjective Whose girlfriend is kind of old? His. = possessive pronoun I hope this helps and this is my first post, so please give feedback on how I can improve on answering questions.

5 Mar 2022     

Goodboyboy
Brazil

Thanks a lot Joelica ♥

5 Mar 2022     

Nani Pappi
Portugal

A possessive adjective is always followed by a noun

A possessive adjective is always followed by a noun, a possessive pronoun doesn�t need one.
Check these examples 

My car is red. His car is blue. (car is a noun - so here "HIS" is a possessive adjective)

My car is red. His is blue. (here "HIS" is a possessive pronoun.) 

6 Mar 2022     

Donny2515
United States

Hi, friend. If you have any problems or doubts in writing any content. I can recommend you a great service https://writinguniverse.com/narrative-essay-topics/ which I have been using for quite some time now. This is a professional online writing platform that specializes in essay writing. I usually order several writing papers every month, so as not to waste time and avoid stupid grammatical errors in the text. Therefore, I can say with confidence that I am very pleased with the result.

20 Nov 2022