Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Could you help?    

Could you help?

brahmam
India

Could you help?

Dear teachers, could you help me with a Relative clause? Which of the following is appropriate? 1. Nick has a small foot on his left hip which helps him balance his body. 2. Nick has a small foot, which helps him balance, on his left hip.

13 Mar 2022      

By Xavi
Mexico

Hi man, I consider this could be a good option, hope it helps: Nick has a small foot on his left hip which helps him balance and enables him to kick

14 Mar 2022     

charmsurprise
France

Hello. a relative clause is a subordinate clause which specifies or gives information about a person or thing. Relative clauses come after a noun or pronoun and, in English, often begin with a relative pronoun such as �who�, �which�, or �that�. (ref. collinsdictionary.com) I would say that the second is the better choice of the two you presented. Not the first. Also we wouldn�t normally say a foot is on the hip, rather it�s on his left side or on his left leg. Nick has a small foot on his left leg which helps him balance his body over his left hip.

14 Mar 2022     

drissbkd
Morocco

I�d go with "Nick has a small foot on his left hip, which helps him balance his body..
the use of the comma conveys the meaning of "Nick�s body is balanced because he has a small foot on ....hip."

14 Mar 2022     

douglas
United States

None sound quite right, but one makes it sound like he has a strange(extra) foot growing out of his hip, so I would say:

Nick has a small foot, which helps him balance on his left hip. (no comma after balance)

But I think I would use "leg" vs "hip" (unless it is some kind of yoga position or something and I am missing  the meaning).

16 Mar 2022