Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Spinney on the warpath    

Spinney on the warpath

spinney
United Kingdom

Spinney on the warpath

Hi peeps!
I am just posting this to ask moderators, who do a fine job, by the way, to err on the side of caution when reporting worksheets. I have already contacted Victor and voted against it being reported so, I expect the mistake will be rectified. But my advice is this, when reporting a worksheet, please check the name of the person on the other website (in this case ISL collective) and the name of the author on this site to make sure they are not the same person (even the photos, although different, clearly show it to be me). Please also check the date that the worksheet on the other website was uploaded. In this case, the worksheet was uploaded on here first.

As it goes, the work done by moderators here is very much appreciated but please do not tarnish their valiant work with rash decisions that an extra second or two of checking could resolve. Please be careful.

I ask publicly because I received this message despite voting against the report. I would really like that worksheet put back. To be fair, it did give me a chuckle or two, the fact that I, Spinney, have been accused of copying the worksheet of a guy called "Spinney" from a website with a photo looking suspiciously like some kind of middle-aged, baldish, white guy. Mind you, that Spinney is not wearing glasses. So, I have uploaded the same photo  that I use here just to clear up any future misunderstandings. This really is all rather Kafkaesque, I have to say!

However, just to be clear, the Spinney on ISL collective is the same Spinney on here, i.e., myself. Honestly! I am not making this up. 

Best wishes
Dale 

No wait .... I mean Spinney!  T 

Dear member,
This is a message to inform you that your contribution CIVIL ENGINEERING ADJECTIVES - PROJECT DEBATE has been removed for the following reasons:
It is a copy from I saw the same worksheet in the ISLcollective

This decision has been voted by the moderators of the website.

Please, remember that your account could be cancelled if you continue breaking the rules of the website.

If you think there has been an error, please contact the website administrator, including the id. number of your worksheet:927852 

3 Apr 2022      

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Middle-aged, baldish white guy  copying from a middle-aged baldish white guy... Ooh, it�s the same one  or is it just Spinney spinning again.
I haven�t done much moderating recently, going to start having a look every day as it is annoying when this kind of trigger-happy reporting goes on.  

Lynne 

3 Apr 2022     

maryse pey�
France

I am so sorry for you Dale !

As I have not enough time to check every worksheet I only report the evident wrong work like "not in English" or "not enough flashcards" or "watermarked cliparts" for example.

You are right when you say that being a moderator is not an easy task... but I would like to know what can really be done in a simple way today...

Sorry if I am a little bit pessimistic ;)

Hugs to a good member of this site.

Maryse. 

3 Apr 2022     

yanogator
United States

Hey, non-moderator here.
Couldn�t a question be added at the time of reporting a supposedly copied worksheet: Did you check to see if the creators of the two worksheets are the same person?

I know that wouldn�t remove this problem, but I think it would reduce the frequency.

Bruce 

4 Apr 2022     

kwsp
United States

Hi Dale,

I am so sorry your worksheet got removed. I normally don�t vote on reported copies when no link is provided and I don�t have time to search for the alleged original. Did you try putting a comment on the moderators� page stating that both the worksheets were your own submissions and not copies? I would think if that was on there everyone would recognize you and vote "Do not remove."

Had your worksheet been on ESLprintables for a while and earned quite a few points? I sure hope Victor gets back to you!!!  

Wishing you the best,
kwsp 

4 Apr 2022     

spinney
United Kingdom

Thanks, people.
At the end of the day, I think the person in question (I messaged her) was just looking out for me. In fact, she had commented on another of my engineering worksheets on the same day. I contacted her and asked her if she could change her opinion, which I think is possible by pressing the green sentence saying that the worksheet should not be removed. I also commented in the moderator�s page that it should not be removed but it only seemed to generate another message warning me that my account could be cancelled. 
I think Bruce�s suggestion is a good idea. I occasionally do a bit of moderating myself and I know that if somebody is very busy, it can be easy to make mistakes. But it�s true that there are cheeky individuals who try and copy worksheets from other sites. Silvia caught one red-handed yesterday.
At the end of the day, it�s a fine line getting this right and accidents will happen. But that worksheet is one of my better ones. Bit of a shame, really, but not the end of the world.
Thanks again for your comments, folks.  

5 Apr 2022