Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > NATIVE SPEAKERS --->SOS :)     

NATIVE SPEAKERS --->SOS :)

Mar0919
Mexico

NATIVE SPEAKERS --->SOS :)

Hey there all! I�m a little stuck.... I need to teach the difference between WARRANTY vs GUARANTEE on a product. Please explain and give examples?  

Thanks in advance!  

3 Apr 2022      

Noxsora
Japan

Guarantee is a word you add to predictions to show more confidence. [I guarantee you will have fun!] I promise you will have fun [I guarantee there will be a test tomorow]I know there will be a test tomorow [I guaranteed I wouldnt forget my gloves] I made certian I wouldnt forget my gloves. 

Warranty is the rules to keep in best conditions. When you buy a machine it comes with some papers with small writting in many languages. That is the warranty. [downloading a computer virus is against your computers warranty] [My cars warranty says I should change oil every 10000 miles] or [I found my vacuum cleaner�s warrenty]

The confusion comes from 1 year warranty and 1 year guarantee both mean [if you follow all of the rules in the [warranty] then we [guarantee] it will work for 1 year] 

A bag of potato chips could say [guaranteed delicious] but no one sends rules with potato chips. So the potato chips have no warranty. Hope that helps.

3 Apr 2022     

yanogator
United States

Noxsora has the right idea.
Legally speaking, in the US, at least, a guarantee is someone�s promise of something. The salesman might guarantee that you will love his product. A guarantee is only as good as the speaker�s integrity.

A warranty is a written promise that a product will function properly for a period of time. If the product fails, then the person or company that issued the warranty will generally repair or replace the product.

So, a warranty is in writing and is usually very specific about what it is promising. A guarantee is spoken and is usually not very specific.

Bruce 

4 Apr 2022     

Mar0919
Mexico

Thank you both! That was very  helpful, Bruce.

5 Apr 2022