Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Finding the verb or the predicate    

Finding the verb or the predicate

Ruwayda37
Egypt

Finding the verb or the predicate

Good day fellow teachers, This sentence about the weather forecast is taken from an ESL book. I think it is an incomplete sentence because I can�t find the verb. Could you please help me find out where the verb is, if there is any? "Mostly dry with bright or sunny spells in central, south and south east England, the odd mild shower in the south and south-west." Thanks in advance

10 Aug 2022      

yanogator
United States

You are right that there is no verb. There isn�t really a subject, either. These are just some descriptive phrases, not a sentence.

Bruce 

10 Aug 2022     

Ruwayda37
Egypt

Thanks for your help, Bruce. I agree with you. There is no subject either. This is the context of the the sentence: Man: And here�s a summary of tomorrow�s-weather. A bright start all over the country with frost mostly in the west, but scattered clouds will blow in from the north-west before noon, and there will probably be patchy rain over much of Scotland and Cumbria Mostly dry with bright or sunny spells in central, south and south east England, the odd mild shower in the south and south-west Temperatures will range from 7 to 16 degrees Celsius, so it will feel less cold than of late, especially in the sunshine. If it is meant to be a casual conversation, is it OK to capitalize its first letter?

10 Aug 2022     

yanogator
United States

It�s actually a weather report on radio or television, and is the standard way of delivering that. Yes, even though it isn�t a sentence, we would start it with a capital letter, because it is just an abbreviated sentence.

Bruce 

10 Aug 2022     

Ruwayda37
Egypt

I get it now. Many thanks, Bruce.

10 Aug 2022     

isabellahenry
United Kingdom

Hi here! As a student, we have to face a number of academic stress like homework writing, assignment making, exams, etc. I am a PHP student and it is a subject that I faced a little difficulties to understand. I was too worried about my homework but now I have a solution to that. One of my friend suggested me for online PHP homework help. I hired them for do my php homework so that I can be stress free. I must say they have handled all my work with utter professionalism. At first I was nervous that I will be scammed but they delivered my work on-time. I would really suggest to those who are stuck or unable to understand PHP can count on them.

17 Aug 2022     

kwsp
United States

Beware of spammer isabellahenry´s post before this one. Don´t take a chance of getting malware by clicking on her links.

18 Aug 2022