Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Better definitions     

Better definitions

spinney
United Kingdom

Better definitions

Hi folks!
I am currently working on a new phrasal verb exercise for industrial relations and I am in a bit of a quandary. If I include "back down" and "give in" together, I will need to have clear and precise definitions for them both. At the moment, I have "back down" = reverse a decision or retreat. And for "give in" = finally accept defeat. I am not 100% happy with them. Can anybody think of something better? Or are they OK as they are? 
Oh, and if any of you can think of a phrasal verb that is in some way related to labour relations, please feel free to contribute. I have about 19 at the moment. 

13 Sep 2022      

douglas
United States

back down- to stop pushing or forcing your point of view or argument

give in- to finally accept the other person�s point of view or argument

(perhaps?)

13 Sep 2022     

ninon100
Russian Federation

Hi, how about "cave in" for your collection?
 We are not going to cave in to his tactics.

13 Sep 2022     

Rob Barron
United Kingdom

�back down is the result of previous confrontation with a person but �give in� is a form of surrender to another person�s wishes. Hope that helps. Rob

13 Sep 2022     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Back down is the opposite of stand your ground.

13 Sep 2022     

yanogator
United States

Douglas, I think your "back down" is closer to "back off". I agree with Dale about "back down", but I agree with you on "give in" (and I might add "after initial resistance").

Bruce 

14 Sep 2022     

TeacherARG
Argentina

How about give up + ing? It could be useful to understand the differences> give up vs. give in.

Just my 2 cents.

14 Sep 2022     

spinney
United Kingdom

Thanks folks! I think I am even more confused now! 
Plenty of food for thought though. "Back off" and "back down,"eh? There must be something I can do with those in the future.

@ TeacherARG, To me, "give up" is stop doing something with reluctance, such as smoking, fighting (so as not to be the loser, or even worse), red meat, etc. Whereas give in, is to surrender in terms of accepting the wishes or conditions of another person.
My problem is getting the definitions short and sweet for the bingo, card game, and online quiz.
That said, I now have plenty to work with. Despite all the technical issues, ESL Printables brings home the bacon once again. This is definitely the best little site out there for ESL teachers.
Thanks guys!  

17 Sep 2022