Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > word order    

word order

modelena
Italy

word order

Hi everybody,

I have a doubt

Which one is correct?

1) At 10 Downing Street lives the Prime Minister

2) At 10 Downing Street the Prime Minister lives

Thank you in advance for your help  

11 Oct 2022      

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Well, it would be more usual to say: The Prime Minister lives at 10 Downing street. 

11 Oct 2022     

spinney
United Kingdom

I agree with Lynne. I mean "At 10 Downing Street lives the Prime Minister" might work in a story, especially a children�s book or something similar, as a narrative style, but not in everyday usage.  

12 Oct 2022     

yanogator
United States

I agree with Lynne and Dale, but if the sentence were part of a list of addresses, then the first option would work.

At 2 Downing street live Kermit and Miss Piggy. At 8 live four sad men with silly haircuts who think they�re the Beatles. At 10 Downing Street lives the Prime Minister. 

Bruce 

13 Oct 2022     

spinney
United Kingdom

Bruce�s examples sound like a pretty adroit political analysis of the UK in 2022. 
P.S. Sorry for the politics. It won�t happen again.  

14 Oct 2022     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Yep, agreed. In a list, that works. And at 10 Downing street, in ten days� time, lives.... mmm, I wonder.  The way things are going, it might be me.  And I would appoint my cat Isla as Chancellor.

14 Oct 2022     

spinney
United Kingdom

@ Lynne. Isla as chancellor but, let�s face it, Larry for PM! The most popular occupant of Number 10 in its history. 

14 Oct 2022     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Larry gets my vote! 

Larry at Number 10: Amazon.co.uk: Elizabeth C Radcliffe: 9781800461789:  Books

15 Oct 2022     

yaz83
Jordan

actually this is called conversion in English ... in the structure of English ,you have to convert the subject with the verb if you use adverb of time at the beginning of a sentence instead of using it in the end .This as honorable people said ,can be used in written English or literary work rather than daily used English .

15 Oct 2022     

modelena
Italy

Thank you everybody
for your examples and your witty sentences too. 

22 Oct 2022     

spinney
United Kingdom

You are very welcome. One last one for you, Modelena:
Larry the Cat lives at nº 10 Downing Street and, every once in a while, he gets a Prime Minister to play with.  

22 Oct 2022     

1    2    Next >