Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > grammar related questions    

grammar related questions

chenchen_castrourdiales
Spain

grammar related questions

Hi there, everybody,

Question # 1:

Do you ever feel that you have too much homework and not enough free time? If you do,...
Have you ever felt that you have too much homework and not enough free time? If you do, ...

According to the auxiliary used in the answer after the question, the correct option would undoubtedly be the use of the present simple. I understand, however, why my students all have used the present perfect.  When is "ever" used with the present perfect tense?

Question # 2:

They haven�t lived / haven�t been living here for long. They only moved in last week. 

The key says present perfect simple is the only correct option, but to my mind, the present perfect continuous form would also be correct. Am I right?

Question # 3:

Why didn�t you tell me / hadn�t you told me you coudn�t meet me? I waited for you for twenty minutes. 

The use of the past simple sounds the most natural option to my ears; would the past perfect tense also be corect, however?

Thanks in advance. 

30 Oct 2022      

yanogator
United States

Hi,
The present perfect has two uses. It can refer to one action that was started in the past and has an effect that lasts to the present.

Have you done your homework?       Has the package arrived?

Notice the use of "your" and "the" here, and the fact that we could add "yet" at the end when we use the present perfect in this sense.

I have bought what we need for dinner.       She has taught her students well.

Again, the direct object is specific. Also, "already" can sometimes be added. 

The present perfect can also refer to a completed action at any time in the past.

Have you eaten at that restaurant?        Has he taken an algebra class?

When the present perfect is used in this sense, "ever" can be added for emphasis.

Have you ever eaten at that restaurant?     Has he ever taken an algebra class? 

On #2, you are right. Using a continuous tense emphasizes the duration of the action. The present perfect simple in that sentence is just a statement of fact. The present perfect continuous gives a slight feeling of being involved in the action, or having a more personal interest in it.

The past perfect is also correct here, but it sounds very literary. In the US, at least, the past perfect isn�t used much in speech.

Bruce 

31 Oct 2022     

chenchen_castrourdiales
Spain

Thanks a million for such a thourough explanation.

1 Nov 2022