Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > I need your help    

I need your help

Pretty3
Saudi Arabia

I need your help

Hi
how are you?

Can you help me please?

Which question is correct?  

• What do you think is the most important invention of the last century? 

• What do you think the most important invention of the last century is?

I�m really confused because I think verbs to be  come at the end. 

Thanks in advance 

3 Dec 2022      

jannabanna
France

Hi,

As a native Brit, the first thing that comes to mind is: "What do you think is/was the most important invention of the last century?" 
You see, you can even put it in the past, BUT you can also put the verb "to be" at the end of the sentence.  It�s not incorrect, I just feel more comfortable with the first one.

Let�s see what the other natives say.

Best, Janet 

4 Dec 2022     

Pretty3
Saudi Arabia

Thank you Janet.

4 Dec 2022     

maicasofia
Spain

The second part of the sentence is not a real question.  It is an indirect question which should be structured in the same way as a positive sentence; that is to say: SUBJECT  +  VERB =   What do you think the most important invention of the last century is?  

4 Dec 2022     

Pretty3
Saudi Arabia

Thank you 

That means the second one is correct question?  

5 Dec 2022     

FrauSue
France

I agree with Janet - both are fine.

5 Dec 2022     

kwsp
United States

I would agree with the others. Both are correct but the first example is more common. I would use the second example if I am trying to get clarification. Me: �What do you think is the most important invention of the last century?� Student: �I think�(indiscernible) Me: �What do you think the most important invention of the last century is? I didn�t catch what you said.�

5 Dec 2022     

Pretty3
Saudi Arabia

Thank you :)

6 Dec 2022     

yanogator
United States

I agree with Janet. Both are correct, but the first feels just a little more natural. Both are definitely common in speech (in the US, at least)

Bruce 

6 Dec 2022     

dragoljub86
Montenegro

Hello!

I have no idea where to write. It has been for a wekk that I cannot post any contribution either a printable document or a powerpoint presentation. Whenever I try doing it, it say ERROR SERVER .

Any idea? 

20 Dec 2022