Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > What do you call this garment please?    

What do you call this garment please?

Nizarsouth
Tunisia

What do you call this garment please?

Hi! I�d like to ask about this garment worn by pupils at school in my country Tunisia. Some colleagues insist that it is called a uniform while I opt for a school smock since a uniform is a set of clothes and this is just one piece of clothing
.9 Dec 2022      

kwsp
United States

How about a tunic - a jacket worn as part of a uniform? Generally I think of a smock as a garment worn by women, but one can also be worn over clothes when working.

9 Dec 2022     

souha
Tunisia

What about an apron?

10 Dec 2022     

spinney
United Kingdom

Both Smock and Tunic are fine. 

10 Dec 2022     

Nizarsouth
Tunisia

Thanks a bunch

10 Dec 2022     

florentina123456
Romania

I think apron also works. In Italy we call these �grembiule� (a working coat, basically) which would translate to apron/smock.

10 Dec 2022     

yanogator
United States

It definitely isn�t an apron, which covers just the front of the body. I agree with Spinney that both tunic and smock work, based on the styling of it.. It could also be called simply a top.

Bruce 

10 Dec 2022     

kwsp
United States

I still believe the term tunic is best because by definition it is a jacket or top considered part of a uniform. However, if you want to call it a smock, that�s fine. Calling it an apron in American English is totally out of the question. An apron is a completely different item in American English. Edit : After googling tunic I saw images of uniform jackets such as ones worn by the Canadian Mounted Police and uniform jackets from WWII and WWI. It also showed what I would consider to be smocks, a little different from your image, for dentists, nurses, housekeepers, and chefs. I was unsuccessful when trying to upload images of what I consider to be a tunic. Here are a couple of links instead. https://duckduckgo.com/?q=chinese+tunic+suit&iax=images&ia=images https://duckduckgo.com/?q=benny+hinn&iax=images&ia=images

10 Dec 2022     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Do tunics have a front opening with buttons? I didn�t think so. It�s just a jacket. Casual jacket. 

11 Dec 2022     

dawnmain
United Kingdom

I�d say �smock�.  
 To me, a tunic is open at the sides.

12 Dec 2022