Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > What do you assess in an oral exam?    

What do you assess in an oral exam?

BigBadBootyDaddy
Mexico

What do you assess in an oral exam?

I have an oral exams with my students tommorrow. I know that fluency and pronunciation are must grade aspects, but what else can be assessed ?

17 Mar 2009      

tichorsergio
Mexico

Have you considered to check Grammar, Intonation, Stress and at the same time Listening as well as Accuracy? I hope everything will be OK and good luck!

17 Mar 2009     

askerhk
Hong Kong

For Hong Kong public exam, we would have four categories.
They are:
Pronunciation and delivery
Strategies for Communication
Ideas and organization
vocabulary and language use
I found it quite comprehesnive, especially for group discussion

17 Mar 2009     

eng789
Israel

askerhk - that sounds good to me.

17 Mar 2009     

sea camel
Belgium

Below an example of the �what � and �how � at our school. In it you can see the things we assess. Easy to correct and a good feedback for the pupils. I always write extra comments down and I often notice pupils doing a better job the next time. I print it out and at the end of the test I hand them out. I �ve checked askerhk �s categories and these ideas can be found here too, although other words are used.

Speaking about�������������������������������

1        Content                       good   -   OK   -   not good

2        Timing                         perfect -  a bit too long/short  -  too long/short

3        Fluency / Interaction  excellent   -   good   -   OK   -   not good

4        Pronunciation             excellent   -   good   -   some mistakes   -   many mistakes  

5        Vocabulary / Grammar         good   -   some mistakes   -   many mistakes

Comments: ��������������������������������

Just to give you a practical idea... Good luck!
Kristien

17 Mar 2009     

Jayho
Australia

We assess pronunciation, fluency, vocab, intelligibility of ideas, repair skills, task completion and additonal linguistic features.  Each of these has sub points.

You can also check out rubrics for formal tests such as TOEFl �s at http://www.ets.org/Media/Tests/TOEFL/pdf/Independent_Speaking_Rubrics_2008.pdf

17 Mar 2009     

alien boy
Japan

Hmm, I �ve just been doing basic speaking tests with my 1st & 2nd year junior high school kids. They �re low level/beginners in the main, so I �ve broken it down to 4 criteria:

Vocabulary - how appropriate is the vocabulary that they use?
Inflection - do the students use inflection to help convey meaning? Japanese syllables are all the same length with some variation in pitch rather than being an inflected language.
Rhythm - Do the students time/pace/pause appropriately in their speech.
Clarity - do the students speak clearly?

The oral test that I have given had to be assessable in under 2 minutes, so it meant that I had to use a very simple approach & scoring mechanism. I �d rather have more time & a better empirical rubric to use, but my method seemed to work okay, especially as I was the only one making the assessment so the standard applied to each student �s assessment was identical, allowing for more consistency in the assessment.

Hope that made some sort of sense....

17 Mar 2009