Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Vocabulary question     

Vocabulary question

monder78
Poland

Vocabulary question

Hello 
1. Can we use  almost never instead of  hardly  ever  ?
2. Is there a  specific saying that means  if you have a soft  heart, you  must have  a hard ass 

Thank  you in advance. 

13 Jan 2023      

yanogator
United States

1. Yes, that�s just fine.
2. I don�t know of one.

Bruce 

13 Jan 2023     

monder78
Poland

I found the following  saying  on Twitter  :  �If you�re gonna have a soft heart you better have a hard ass�
https://twitter.com/kirsten_knick/status/721494586917548032

14 Jan 2023     

FrauSue
France

I agree with Bruce - the first is fine, and the second saying is totally new to me. Perhaps the twitter user made it up.

23 Jan 2023     

kwsp
United States

The phrase in the second question is an oxymoron. If you are a hard ass, a tough and uncompromising person, you are the opposite of someone with a soft heart. I have never heard this particular saying before, but I believe it means: if you have a soft heart, you had better protect yourself from being taken advantage of by others by being a hard ass. As a side note, you should use caution with the term hard ass. It can be considered inappropriate in most conversations.

26 Jan 2023