Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > many a + noun    

many a + noun

hekateros
Portugal

many a + noun

Good evening everyone :)

One of my students came up with a question today, which I thought would be best clarified by an English native speaker.
My student �s boyfriend, who is English, said this sentence when referring to an aggressive cat they saw:
"I bet it has seen off many a cat".

She wanted to know if this was correct...well, to me it sounds wrong but I would like to hear your opinions. Could it be a particularity from a certain region in Englad to say "many a cat"?

I �ve never heard it... Have you?

Thanks ;)

18 Mar 2009      

Zora
Canada

I can �t say how grammatically correct it is but yes, it is said... other examples:

"There �s many a day that I just want to scream"

"Many a night, I lay awake thinking about my youth..."

It �s almost a poetic way of speaking though...

18 Mar 2009     

hekateros
Portugal

Thanks a lot Zora.

I see it is said in other places but England!!

Greetings :)

18 Mar 2009     

cbkiryk
Australia

I grew up in the US and spent the past nearly forty years in Oz...That said it is common in both countries.

Many a day I regretted the decision to ... (insert regret).

Good question though!!!
Cy

18 Mar 2009     

dennismychina
China

Hi All,

It is certainly used in England. Poetic English is a nice way of expressing it Zora, as it date back to the 1200�s

Many a = a lot of singulars, numerous ones. It�s an adjective and is always used with a singular noun.

You can also say many is the time. There are a great number of. As in ��Many is the time I �ve longed for a big juicy, greasy hamburger.

18 Mar 2009     

douglas
United States

Yep, we say it in the USA too.  Every language has its poetic license--I chalk this one up to that.  I am pretty sure it was used in popular, older English literature and found its niche in the language. It has a poetic aire about it, that usually signals someone trying to purposely be dramatic.

Douglas

18 Mar 2009     

hekateros
Portugal

Good evening!!

Thank you all for your reply! :)

I forgot to mention that my student is also a native speaker (from South Africa) but living in Portugal for many years. And that sentence also sounded strange to herStern Smile That is why I wondered if it were a particularity from England Tongue

I will tell her tomorrow what I found out about it, thanks to you!!

19 Mar 2009     

douglas
United States

If I remember right, John Wayne used it a lot in his movies.

Douglas

19 Mar 2009