Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Which option is better?     

Which option is better?

EwelinaEwelina
Japan

Which option is better?

Have you ever thought about taking part in a triathlon event? Well, I hadn�t but it happened anyway.
A) I thought I would never be able to get through it. 
B)  I never thought I would be able to get through it. 
C)  I thought I would have never gotten through it. 
D) I thought I would have never been able to get through it. 

(Context: talking about an event that happened last year. ) 

Thank you for your help.
Have a good day. 

8 Jun 2024      

L. habach
Morocco

Given the context provided, the goal is to express a reflection on your doubts about being able to complete a triathlon event that you ended up participating in. Here’s an analysis of each option in relation to the context provided:

A) "I thought I would never be able to get through it."

• This option is grammatically correct. It effectively communicates that during the event or before it, you doubted your ability to complete it. It’s a straightforward way to reflect on your earlier doubts.

B) "I never thought I would be able to get through it."

• This option is also grammatically correct. It suggests a consistent disbelief in your ability to complete the event, up until you proved yourself wrong by actually participating. This option subtly implies a longer period of doubt.

C) "I thought I would have never gotten through it."

• This option is awkward and less clear. The use of the future perfect tense ("would have never gotten") is not appropriate in this context. It tries to reflect on a past perspective about a future outcome, which doesn�t fit well here.

D) "I thought I would have never been able to get through it."

• Similar to option C, this sentence is complex and grammatically awkward. The construction "would have never been able" complicates the expression of doubt and is not commonly used in this type of reflection.

Given these analyses, A) "I thought I would never be able to get through it." and B) "I never thought I would be able to get through it." are the correct options. They both clearly and effectively convey the sense of doubt about completing the triathlon.

Which to choose between A and B depends on the nuance you want:

• A suggests a specific moment or period where you doubted your ability.
  • B suggests a more ongoing, persistent doubt over time.

8 Jun 2024     

EwelinaEwelina
Japan

@L. habach Thank you so much .

9 Jun 2024     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

I�m a bit late to the fray! Great analysis by L. habach, which I don�t think I could have done. As a native speaker, I would go for b. B is the best one. 

17 Jun 2024     

Ykisoa
American Samoa

Until you participated and proved yourself incorrect, it implies that you consistently doubted your capacity to finish the event. run 3

18 Jun 2024     

EwelinaEwelina
Japan

@ cunliffe
@Ykisoa 
Thank you so much for your help. 

20 Jun 2024     

farah2011
Tunisia

I don�t think it is a matter of whether one option is better than another because they are all gramatically correct. Every option cannot be replaced by another because they depend on the context in which they are used. 

24 Jun 2024     

bandgift
United States

I believe the answer is A. I truly want to be the most correct of the remaining replies. coreball

27 Jun 2024     

russian22
Albania

All are grammatically correct, however I�dsay b) is more idiomatic. It�s a matter of subtle nuances. 

Regards, 

5 Jul 2024     

ummerundying
United States

Every choice depends on the situation in which they are used hence they cannot be substituted by another.

24 Jul 2024