Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > Thanks to Victor, and reading ideas    

Thanks to Victor, and reading ideas

Vickiii
New Zealand

Thanks to Victor, and reading ideas

Hi teachers,

Has anyone else noticed that Victor has changed something and now our word documents load up properly even if we have shifted our margins!

Thank you Victor - this is amazing - usually I have to go back and edit my worksheets because I always have thin margins.  This time it uploaded no problem at all!!!  You are awesome!

Secondly - Some reading ideas for you to make your kids love reading!

You can do a study on Dr Seuss.  The books are very simple to read with rhyme and rhythm. Kids of all ages love them.  Get the students to rehearse them for a visit to a local kindergarten where they will have to read the stories to the children.  Dr Seuss is way cool and fun to read.  You will have them laughing their heads off!

Alternatively:  For fluency training - have them chose a book to put onto tape for a younger class to read along to.  They have to record themselves reading the story - don �t forget to make up a crazy sound so the kids know when to change the page.  This involves heaps of practice before recording.

Alternatively:  Get the students to read comics.  Comics have great language and heaps of pictures to aid comprehension.  I love Peanuts, footrot flats is a kiwi favourite based around a farm dog, Astrix and Oblix when they are getting really into it. 

Alternatively:  REad to them yourself after watching the movie - this way they already have a good idea of the story line.  Lion Witch and the Wardrobe would be great for this - or harry potter or lord of the rings (2 ofthese classic series were filmed in New Zealand! Do you know which 2?)

Alternatively: Give them a language experience - ie play with slime or bubbles or make kites or paper helicopters - brainstorm with the kids the language they want on to the whiteboard - then get them to write about it - then make their stories into a book for them to read.

Alternatively:  Read poetry - it is short and can be super funny - heaps of free stuff on the internet - let me know if you want some links - then the kids write their own poetry and then they read each others poetry as well.

alternatively:  Write a story as a class - the kids give you ideas - you help them with language and you do the writing - then get a couple of them to type it up - while the rest of them do their own versions of the class story - viola another class made book that they will love reading.

Alternatively:  Get them to find a website that they want to share with the class - they have to read an excerpt of the internet and share the benefits of it with the class (in english of course).

whew - i have more ideas but I think this will be enough for now. 

19 Mar 2009      

Ivona
Serbia

Thank you, Vickiii, for the lovely ideas. 

19 Mar 2009     

awham
Saudi Arabia

thhhhhhhhhanx victor for ur clever idea

but im new here and i would like to get benefit and improve my english

so plz help me what i can do 

best
regards

19 Mar 2009     

Vickiii
New Zealand

um - read read read, talk talk talk, listen listen listen, talk talk talk - maybe join some yahoo chat rooms that talk english - maybe a topic you are interested in.  Just jump in and chat with all the native speakers.

19 Mar 2009