Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Teaching material > Books for beginner adults.    

Books for beginner adults.

cheezels
New Zealand

Books for beginner adults.

Hi everyone!
I am about to begin teaching refugee adults here in Sweden (5 groups with a 2 hour lesson per week)
I have been told that some (not all) will have little education from their own country and that some will be complete beginners. ( English is the second language here in Sweden that is why it is being asked for it to be taught....)

I would prefer to work from something very structured for the beginner adult group(s) and mix in my own flashcards and vocabulary work. I will not be able to photocopy much here (if any), which is why I am looking at the book option....
I already have great stuff for intermediate+, but nothing for real ADULT beginners.

What books or series of books have worked well for your adult beginners? I need to check out options as soon as possible!
Thanks!
Feel free to PM me as well as I am about to go out for groceries, so I am sorry if I don �t reply straight away! Big smile

21 Mar 2009      

arkel
Ireland

I use Face2face (CUP) with very good results.

21 Mar 2009     

mumekaren
Argentina

hi cheezels. I work with New English file 1 . It �s interesting and dynamic .

21 Mar 2009     

ARaquelSP
Portugal

There is New Headway Beginner which is also interesting. Or New Cutting Edge Starter.

21 Mar 2009     

zoemorosini
United States

HI there!

I �ve taught adults and older highschoolers with limited skills for many years.  I recommend the following:

Images 1 & 2 by Guenther Zuern (photostory-based, with lots of practice)--out of print but I �ve purchased used through Amazon
Step by Step with pictures by Ralph Boggs & Robert Dixon--a great, slow-paced book with nice illustrations but not too dense as to overwhelm low-lit students
Very Easy True Stories and Easy True Stories in the News (part of a longer series) by Sandra Heyer, Longman Publishers.

Let me know if you need more!

Your American friend

21 Mar 2009     

cheezels
New Zealand

THANK YOU!!!! I now have a starting point! Thank you all for your suggestions! I shall be exploring these through the week!
The bummer is I have so many resources of my own (but in my computer) and there are cool resources at another place I work for (but cannot borrow to use).... but for this place I cannot photocopy either, so it is such a shame... It is truly going to be English on a shoestring...Confused make that a half shoestring and some tape maybe.....

21 Mar 2009     

aftab57
United Kingdom

Cheezels,
You have a mighty task ahead if you can �t photocopy. The books being suggested and the ones in links here are mighty expensive especially if you �re going to buy class sets. My advice is to negotiate with your bosses to let you use the money for photocopying and only but a teachers set of one or two books you decide upon. That would be cheaper in the long run.

Anyway have  a look here for more book suggestions.

21 Mar 2009     

zoemorosini
United States

I hope this new position will allow you a small budget to buy books or pay locally for copies. 

I �m amazed at the number of schools that expect us to teach using up our own materials, on our own dime, while paying us chicken feed.  I hope this isn �t your situation, Cheezels.

--zoemorosini

21 Mar 2009