Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Does the word "topic" mean big pictures to wish you a nice day?    

Does the word "topic" mean big pictures to wish you a nice day?

HARIM
Morocco

Does the word "topic" mean big pictures to wish you a nice day?

Please read what Victor wrote,
"Please, don �t start a new topic if you want to reply to a previous post."

22 Mar 2009      

alien boy
Japan

Harim,

I �m with you on this one!

I thought this was one of the reasons why Victor changed the forum format so that whole discussion threads would now have just the first & last post showing.

Many members thanked him for this innovation when it started because it was then possible to have more discussions showing on the front page of the forum, without it being taken over by pictures & purely social banter!

I believe that the forum could be used far more effectively if people would respond to �Good morning �; �good night �; �happy ~~ day �; �(insert social pleasantry here) � threads as a reply in the same thread rather than starting a new post.

By the way, I do like pictures & social banter - but they should be in the corresponding discussion threads, not proliferating like rabbits!

zoemorosini: I don �t believe harim was insulting people, it was more like a �pointed question � to get an idea across.

now, if only
everyone would use the forum tools properly then we wouldn �t have the same questions/discussions/resolutions occurring in several different threads over the same short period of time...

22 Mar 2009     

manonski (f)
Canada

I agree we don �t need to start a new topic everytime we want to reply to a "good morning", "have a good weekend" picture. They do take space and bump other interesting topics from the main page.

However, there are no rules that say that this forum should be used only for "serious" topics. I don �t mind the pictures and I read the suggestions or ask for help ones as well.

We just need to strike a balance and before posting a picture, check if someone has already started a topic similar on the main page.

Happy Sunday everyone!

22 Mar 2009     

alien boy
Japan

& to add to manonski �s last comment...

�... on the main page � or on the recent topics or hot topics pages....

Cheers,
AB

22 Mar 2009     

Damielle
Argentina

This is one topic that is on the forum over and over again as well as the  "reporting" or "not reporting stolen contributions", "getting" or "not getting my points" "being able" or "not being able to upload", "asking for a link", "asking for a grammar issue", "asking for clipart" stuff. And I can continue with tens of topics more. But specially I want to highlight those topics telling "what to post or what not post" : I �d take this section of Manonski words: "there are no rules" about what to post.

I agree with you that there is not need to open different posts to answer and I welcome your  word "please" because it means that you are politely asking us not  fill the forum with pictures. But other people are a bit rude when talking about this and I prefer not to answer such bad manners. Nevertheless, I �ve noticed that there is room for many topics on the home page and many people read the recent topics and answer them so they don �t go unnoticed.

Remember that some of us prefer posting graphics to share here instead of pasting them and uploding them as a worksheet in order to get points. Many people save those graphics for later use in the classroom.  I have printed some funny  graphics to teach greatings and it was a great success!!! Some other have printed some other messages posted here for classroom use. So our gifs usually  become an ESL resource. Haven �t you tried it!!! you should!! 

This is a comunity where all of us, with different interests, backgrounds  and personalities can live together...

...So , please, try to be tolerant according to all this  word implies!!!

22 Mar 2009     

goodnesses
Algeria

Hi, all

Sorry, my words would seem rude or offensive for some but, according to me, "most" of those who deliberately start a new topic to reply to whatsoever topic on the forum, do so just to mark their presence on the site or to impose their views by forcing the others to view their post on the front page.
I really don �t understand why I should start a new topic to reply to one I agree or disagree with when I have to write my message just under it and click "post reply".
May some like it or not this forum is not an open public chat room. It is a forum special for teachers. So, yes, there are some topics that are more important than others and thus should have the priority and our attention especially of those looking and/or asking for some help.
This does not prevent us from sending some kind of greetings as long as they don �t monopolize the front page and prevent people from viewing topics which really interest them.

22 Mar 2009     

eng789
Israel

I have a problem with the word "tolerant" because it can mean more than one thing and sounds negative.  It can mean that I ignore the person and let him do his thing. 

What upsets me here is that people sometimes announce things that are important to them and they get ignored/tolerated.  I think it would be nice if pepole actually acknowledged eachother �s messages.  I show them that you are happy for them or sad - whatever the case maybe. 

Damielle - I saved your picture because I loved the way the kitten looks at the mouse.
It could be used for a short writing assignment -
What do you think the kitten was thinking,  when the picture was taken?  Why?   Write 3 sentences.

22 Mar 2009     

goodnesses
Algeria

Hi, eng789
Israel

I don �t really catch your point.
Would you please clarify it?

22 Mar 2009     

alien boy
Japan

I think she means that �tolerance � can be a double edged blade. It can mean not only accepting that differences of opinion & belief exist but also that you (a universal �you �, not anybody specific) can tolerate something by ignoring the person/thing & behaving as if it (a message in this case) had never been present or in existence. Tolerance can be both negative and positive.

As an example of overdone topics... on the day that this thread commenced there were 3 individual �Good morning � threads started (complete with cool pictures) on the front page of the forum at the same time & 3 �fashion � related threads (from the same member). This isn �t necessary & detracts from other uses of the forum too.

23 Mar 2009     

goodnesses
Algeria

Hi, Alien Boy!

Still I don �t see the relation between the concept of tolerance and the topic that concerns us here.

PS/
Couldn´t I post this last one as a new thread so that everybody can see it on the very beginning of the front page?

23 Mar 2009     

MissMelissa12
Peru

I think there should be a special corner for people who want to post pictures, good morning gliterring graphs and other cute animals with motivating messages so that people who love seeing them can also go and check them.

Id love that!! because honestly, I do think it takes too much space in the forums. And make members miss more important topics (in my opinion) that quicly was sent to recent topics.

On the other hand though I love when teachers post real pictures taken in their schools, showing the way they arrange some topics and things like this. It gives great ideas.

I know this is the website of all the members as I once said its not the popular teachers site because as AB said , that �s just a very minute proportion of the teachers who contribute here.
I �d love Victor to have a special space for those things. But it might be too much to ask bsides, Im not a popular teacher (I dont want to be either, I was kind of popular in highschool already and I did not like that ) so people wont follow me jajaja.

Have a nice day and night, you all !!

Miss Melissa. Hug

24 Mar 2009