Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > IDEAS...How to help students remember: In? On? Out? Off?    

IDEAS...How to help students remember: In? On? Out? Off?

brookee
United States

IDEAS...How to help students remember: In? On? Out? Off?

Get in the car.        Get out of the car.
Get on the bus.      Get off the bus.

Does anyone have a helpful way to help students learn these specific phrasal verbs?  I �m looking for a trick, technique or mnemonic device to help students memorize these, like some sort of memory aid for students to which students can refer...

Any tips?  ~~Brooke

24 Mar 2009      

lady_alicze
Poland

Hi!
Maybe it doesn �t work with everyone but it worked with me. �Get on � the bus because the bus has got something like a platform, big floor, and you can stand "on" it. And �get in � the car because the car doesn �t have any platform and you have to bend your body to sit there. And further, on every calculator students can see �on and off � so it must be together: You get on the bus and get off the bus. You get in the car and get out of the car.

I hope it was quite clear. My teacher taught me so and now I try to do it in the same way. Regards from Poland :)

24 Mar 2009     

jtdr
Spain

HI!!! I had the same problem and prepared this worksheet: http://www.eslprintables.com/printable.asp?id=188633#thetop

It was quite helpful for them...at least they proved it so in the last exam...
take care

24 Mar 2009     

source
Turkey

oww...wonderful subject...3 hours ago I was losing my mind as I having tutorial with my 2 lycee students..and we were practising prepositions... They made me crazy... �why is it on? why we say on the ground but not in the ground.. �  or �why we say accuse of sth � ooowww... I hate rules too but there are some basic structures that they must memorize.... I need some clues too... But lady alicze´s idea is great (platform) as I use it too... are there any theories.. please share :)

24 Mar 2009     

Ivona
Serbia

Combine what lady alicze said with TPR and it should be a success. Make it a listening activity where they will have to act out getting ON the bus (they can sit on the desk), getting OUT OF the car (opening the door ... ). Make them even close their eyes and concentrate on it. Also, make them repeat after you so you get them listen and speak at the same time.

Also, you can do a running dictation. On a piece of paper write the following in a column:
Get _ _ _ the bus.
Get _ _ _   _ _ the car.
Get _ _ the plane.
etc.
Stick the papers on the walls (3 students per paper). They go to the paper, fill in the blank (O-F-F), go back to their notebooks and copy the whole sentence (GET OFF THE BUS.)
Good drill for any other language point.

Anyway, it depends on the age of your students. P. Hunt�s suggestion also sounds good ... but with teens and older ...

24 Mar 2009     

P.Hunt
Italy

Hi brookee, if your willing to go into etymology with your students you can have some real fun trying to find the hidden meaning in prepositions.  There is a branch of linguistics which deals with this called Motivational Linguistics.  Check out an author called Lakoff. It may not give you any ready made lessons but it will be food for thought.

24 Mar 2009     

brookee
United States

Good ideas here!  Thanks, Brooke

24 Mar 2009     

zoemorosini
United States

Hi Brookee:

If it doesn �t seem too infantile, take a large piece of construction or poster paper and put it on the floor.  Write the word "bus" on it.  Have small groups of students (2 or 3 at a time) step ON to the paper while saying "Get ON the bus" and then jump OFF while saying "Get OFF the bus."  I guess you could use several pieces at a time with groups.

Take a large piece of cardboard, write the word CAR on the side, make a "door" in it and enclose 2 or 3 students IN it (they hold the whole thing up around themselves) and have them move together while saying "Get IN the car,"  then have them exit through the door and say "Get OUT of the car." 

This might do it.  It �ll be worth a laugh, anyway.

Best of luck,
zoemorosini

25 Mar 2009