Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > WHAT IS THE CORRECT ALTERNATIVE?    

WHAT IS THE CORRECT ALTERNATIVE?

wakebeauty
Brazil

WHAT IS THE CORRECT ALTERNATIVE?

Hi dear colleagues,

Can any of you tell me which alternative of the exercise below is the correct one and why?

YOU ARE _____________ IN THIS DRESS. BUY IT.

A) THE MOST BEAUTIFUL
B) MORE BEAUTIFUL
C) UGLIER
D) MORE UGLY

Thx a lot in advance,
wakebeuty.

26 Mar 2009      

lyny
Mexico

The most beautiful, cause more beatiful is comparative you need a "than".
uglier is comparative you need a "than" too and more ugly? noooo, more is used only for two or more syllables for comparative.
Unless that �s what I know.
Good luck

26 Mar 2009     

gumby59
Hong Kong

It can also be Option B (more beautiful) if you only tried on only two dresses.

26 Mar 2009     

deinha
Brazil

For me it would be "more beautiful", suppposing a situation where the person has tried on two or more dresses and that specific one is the one in which she looks more beautiful (than in the others).

The option " the most beautiful" seems to lack something. I �d rather say: "the most beautiful girl in this place" or "this is the most beautiful dress you �ve tried on/I �ve ever seen" .

The "ugly" options are totallly out of question since there is a reccomendation that the person should buy it. Who would tell you to buy an ugly dress, right? Disapprove

Well, that is the way I see the question!Wink

26 Mar 2009     

alien boy
Japan

I �d have to go with B) MORE BEAUTIFUL

B) MORE BEAUTIFUL can mean:

- the dress improves your appearance compared with the clothes that you wore into the shop;
- the dress improves your appearance in comparison with the other dress you tried on;
- the dress improves your appearance compared with your everyday/normal/usual appearance.

A) THE MOST BEAUTIFUL would only be appropriate if we had more information to place it in context. Otherwise it is missing something:

You are the most beautiful ??? in this dress. Buy it.

Is it the most beautiful �girl �, �woman �, �bloke, �gorilla �, etc

C) UGLIER would only apply if you were Paris Hilton & you were testing your friends (or so I �ve heard)

Cheers!

26 Mar 2009     

douglas
United States

I agree with AB

26 Mar 2009     

goodnesses
Algeria

Hi, All

Alien Boy �s is the most appropriate, according to me.

B) MORE BEAUTIFUL can mean:

- the dress improves your appearance compared with the clothes that you wore into the shop;
- the dress improves your appearance in comparison with the other dress you tried on;
- the dress improves your appearance compared with your everyday/normal/usual appearance.

A) THE MOST BEAUTIFUL NOT CORRECT as stated here.

It´s like when you say; You look better (not the best) in this dress. Buy it!

But I think "You will be the most beautiful in this dress (at the party). Buy it!" is OK.

26 Mar 2009     

wakebeauty
Brazil

my dearest colleagues,

thx a lot for your answers, but I have to say that I am more confused now Cry!
this exercise is from a worksheet I got here at eslprintables, and when I read it I thought letter A was the correct one. But then a student didn �t agree with my correction and I started to realize that letter B may also be correct or is the only correct one Confused Wacko!

So please try to answer me which alternative is the correct one between  A or B!!!!

Looking forward to hearing from you...

26 Mar 2009     

Zora
Canada

And I �d say all options are incorrect. None make all that much sense. I honestly think what you are looking for is this (the verb in your sentence is wrong):

You LOOK beautiful in that dress. Buy it.

OR

You LOOK most beautiful in that dress. Buy it.

26 Mar 2009     

source
Turkey

Hi dear wakebeauty...

In your question forget about c and d as it says BUY IT. when we come to a it makes no sense.... with this kind of superlatives we want a noun.... you are the most beautiful GIRL etc.. but B is more sensible... As we can think she tried on some dresses and this one is more beautiful...Hope it will work...

26 Mar 2009     

alien boy
Japan

Hi zora!

I agree that MOST BEAUTIFUL would be appropriate - MOST would emphasise the degree of beauty, but MOST BEAUTIFUL was not one of the options. Unfortunately, nor was BEAUTIFUL.

The �MORE BEAUTIFUL � option allows for the implied meanings, as noted in my earlier post, without any additional contextual information being needed. This makes it the only acceptable option of the 4 (unless your Paris, of course!)

Cheers,
AB

26 Mar 2009     

1    2    Next >