Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Gaze and Stare????    

Gaze and Stare????

Nebal
Lebanon

Gaze and Stare????

Hi everybody,
Today one of my sts. asked me about the difference between " gaze" and "stare."
I was a little bit in doubt.
I explained:

They both generally mean to look at something continuously.

However, "stare" often suggests a greater amount of deliberateness, and the reason for looking is more likely to be something considered negative in some way, such as (a) aggression or (b) morbid fascination. "Gaze" does not carry a strong sense of deliberateness or intention.

What do u think??? Is it a correct satisfying explanation???

Thanks in advance.
Kisses and hugs,
Nebal

26 Mar 2009      

eng789
Israel

You gaze almost without thinking.  To stare is to deliberately focas on something or someone.
Sounds like what you said.  :  )

26 Mar 2009     

Zora
Canada

To gaze at something (not usually used for people though) is to stare at it but in admiration or fascination.

To stare is just to look at something fixedly... it doesn �t have to have a negative connotation though.

Examples:

She stared at the wall... - she looked at the wall but not with any real reason, probably she �s daydreaming or thinking about something.

She stared at John. - she is looking at John for some reason...

She gazed at the stars.. - she �s looking at them with interest...

26 Mar 2009     

P.Hunt
Italy

English is full of words with small nuances of meaning. This is usually due to them having different origins. A good way to find the difference between these words is to look at the origin. It also helps you to know which is earlier and thus the core meaning; often later aquisitions have more nuances.

Gaze is of Scandinavian origin, first recorded in English in C. 1386. The Norwegian and Swedish equivalents mean �to gape �.

Stare can be a noun or a verb and comes from Proto Germanic meaning to be rigid, stiff, strong, firm. It originally did not imply rudeness, but now does.

This tells you that Stare is an earlier word and has an idea of eyes firmly fixed on something, while gaze implies open mouthed gaping.

If you can get hold of an etymology dictionary, it can be great fun to get the kids in class to look up origins and see how the words have evolved. I introduced etymology into my lessons a while back and I find it helps my students to have a deeper knowledge of words, rather than just simple translations or definitions.

26 Mar 2009     

Dianasuzuki
Brazil

Dear Nebal,

According to Longman Language Activator:

To stare: to look at someone or something for a long time without moving your eyes, for example because you are angry, shocked, or very interested.

E.g.: Her icy stare made me feel nervous.

To gaze: to look at someone or something for a long time, for example because they are beautiful or interesting, especially without realizing that you are doing it. 

E.g.: Ana gazed steadily at the singer, unable to believe she was so close to him. 

Hope it helps you!

Diana :)

26 Mar 2009