Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > THE CONDITALS    

THE CONDITALS

Zain1985
Bahrain

THE CONDITALS

As teachers we �re forced to teach grammer in unnatural situatios espicially the conditionals despite the fact that they can be taught in a 100% real context.

So I decided not to use the text books and instead use questions inspired by my students �experiences and background and I thought about sharing my experience with you.

As for the Zero Conditional, I asked my students this questions:

1. What happens to water if heated up to 100 C?

And for First Conditional I asked them these questions:

1. What will your parents do if you -God Forbids- fail your exams?

2. What will you get if you get good results?

The Second Conditional �s questi9ons were as follows:

1. What would you do if you won $10,000,000?

2. Where would you travel to if you got a free ticket to any place in the world?

And finally I asked them about thing they regret doin/ not doing that have affected their lives.

Hope you benifited from that!  Wink

28 Mar 2009      

mena22
Portugal

Hi Zain! Thanks for sharing your experience on grammar teaching with us!

I completely agree with you. As teachers, we shoud always make our students benefit from the wonderful resource we have in front of us: the students themselves, with their different backgrounds and experiences, as you �ve so well pointed out, thus making their learning so much more effective, because integrated in their previous knowledge and coming from their own experiences. We don �t give them anything, they are the ones who give us all it is needed to make them  learn. We just have to master the art of questioning as well as the art of listening.

There is, however, one point that I must disagree with you Zain. Teachers are not "forced" to teach grammar in unnatural ways. I mean, who forces them? Is there another teacher in the classroom that will force them to do so? I think that what you meant was that there are teachers who choose to follow the textbook by the line, and, if they don �t have a good one, they  choose to teach grammar in unnatural situations. So, I would say that it is every teacher �s choice and not a question of being forced.

Personally, I believe that it is every teacher �s job to use realia and to create diversified contexts as close as possible to natural, REAL ones.

Have a wonderful weekend! You all!
Hugs,
mena

28 Mar 2009