Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > ??    

??

ameliarator
United States

I �d just like to second the remarks about a maintaining a constructive attitude, even when some people upload things that may seem useless or lacking in effort. �This is such a great community; it would be sad if we let ourselves get mired down in frustration and indignation.

29 Mar 2009     

Ivona
Serbia

@aleli_a
The Turkish alphabet is a Latin based alphabet consisting of 29 letters, with only a certain number of which (�, Ğ, I, İ, �, Ş, and �) have been adapted or modified for the phonetic requirements of the language. Therefore, i do not think that the author ever meant that the vocabulary cards be used for the same purpose as AB uses them in Japan.

The way my students learn how to spell words is learn to read them phonemically. Namely, Serbian has phonemic orthography (30 letters=30 phonemes) and we "write as we speak, [and] read as it is written" (thanks to the Serbian language reformer, Vuk Karadzic (1787-1864)). It is the case with both alphabets that we use in writing: Cyrilic and Latin. This is the reason i do not insist that the SS spell the words by giving me the names of each letter in a particular word. Though, they do know how to name the letters.

The problem for my students is the pronunciation of the long and short vowels, and the dyphtongs, which we don �t have in our language. We have ONLY FIVE VOWELS, all being short. The students tend to read �home � as �hom �, �poor � as �pur �, �heat � as �hit � (so they talk about �central hitting � Smile), �coke � as ... hmmm Wink

Anyway, i think that members should think about the appropriateness of their uploads and whether they can be useful to someone or not. I could upload at least a dozen worksheets that could earn me a few points, but why take up space on the site with something that is average. Once i create/write sth decent, i will upload it. Why upload at any cost? Even though the person has zero points. I �ve heard people complain about that as well, i.e. about members having no points and not uploading. As if they shouldn�t be here because of that.

Also, i think that others should refrain from criticising someone before finding out the reasons why the person did this or that. A person should not be found guilty before proven guilty. And it shouldn �t be done publicly...

29 Mar 2009     

< Previous   1    2