Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > How do you say "this strange object showed here" in American English?    

How do you say "this strange object showed here" in American English?

zailda
Brazil

How do you say "this strange object showed here" in American English?

I �m working on a school project called "Museum of technology" to show apliances that were in use some years ago but were replaced by other more modern ones. I don �t know the exact name in American English for that kind of "dinossaur � that used to play vinyl discs. I �m not sure about the name for it even in my mother �s tongue - that �s the truth. But it doesn �t matter, I wonder if someone can help me with the name for this uh... uh... thing.

29 Mar 2009      

Damielle
Argentina

this kind of "dinossaur"Cry , as you call it, belongs to my early chilhood ...

In Spanish is called " tocadisco combinado"

I guess that in English is called "record player or phonograph"

29 Mar 2009     

Jayho
Australia

It�s a Hi-fi stereo system (1960�s vintage) that had both a record player and radio.

The vinyl discs were commonly called records (sometimes referred to as 45s, 78s or LPs).  They were played on a record player (also called a turntable).

These dinosaurs are now collectibles - they are expensive and difficult to acquire.  If only Nanna and Pop didn�t take it to the tip ...

29 Mar 2009     

Damielle
Argentina

After seeing this site, I would say that his is a "console stereo" 

...but maybe this is not American English.

29 Mar 2009     

Jayho
Australia

Hi Damielle - In Australia they were commonly referred to as stereo systems or hi-fi�s.  I�m not sure what they were advertised as.  Because that�s a Canadian website maybe they were called console stereo�s in Canada.  Cheers  Jayho.

29 Mar 2009     

Damielle
Argentina

Surely is called stereo systems.

29 Mar 2009     

dennismychina
China

Good morning Ladies,
This is really showing my age. The �object� as you call it is a radiogram.

The radio part is obvious and gram is short for gramophone, later called a record player. Stereo means that sound is emitted from two speakers. Usually two different parts of the same sound/music/song. eg bass from left, treble from right and midrange from both. Or guitar from one drums from the other and vocals from both. So it might be a stereo radiogram but I think stereo come a bit later. And BTW hi-fi is the short form of high fidelity which is a standard of quality.

29 Mar 2009     

Jayho
Australia

Hi Dennis - my Nan �s and Pop �s had two speakers. I don �t remember them calling it a radiogram or hi-fi but we called our early 1970 �s Pioneer version a hi fi stereo system - in fact my brother still has it and it still works.  Aaah - such fond memories of listening to our seventies LP �s.  When my dad died we used it to listen to his favourite 1960/70 �s records to find a suitable one for the service and then we taped it on this same system.  Cheers Jayho.

29 Mar 2009     

dennismychina
China

1930s  check the TV ;~]  

stereo radiogram 1956

29 Mar 2009     

dennismychina
China

Hi Jayho,

A stereo system is correct and someone mentioned console which could also be right. I�m a few years younger (not many but at age 12, five years is almost a live lime) than my older brother and sister and I used to watch in them in awe doing the rock & roll and the jitter bug ( I think) etc. Mmmmm as you say memories. But now they�re called Museum of technology.Ermm

29 Mar 2009     

Jayho
Australia

Yeah it �s funny - my young adult students have no idea and we bring in records to show them.  I even bring in my portable turntable and play some of the retro songs that are classics or have been re-released.  I still have my talking books from my childhood.

Aaah - now I �m getting sentimental (but not that sentimental because technology makes our teaching job a heck of a lot easier)

29 Mar 2009     

1    2    Next >