Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > > Please do not download the worksheet by Starlehrer.    

Please do not download the worksheet by Starlehrer.

Helen McK
Ireland

Please do not download the worksheet by Starlehrer.

As you can see, she copied my worksheet design exactly.  I work very hard on my contributions.  I wouldn �t dream of copying another teacher �s ideas. Is it too much to hope that other people will behave likewise?

Starlehrer, this is a totally underhand way to behave; shame on you!!

2 Apr 2009      

Logos
Malaysia

Helen, whilst I truly admire your worksheets and your creativity I do not think that what Starlehrer has done is totally underhand.  Whilst in appearance they are exactly the same, the actual content looks totally different to me.  Isn �t imitation one of the greatest forms of flattery.  Surely we cannot become possessive over a style of presentation, indeed some members have submitted tutorials to show how to copy their styles as they are very good, attractive and pedagogically efficient.

You have, indeed produced a wonderful style.  I believe the only major sin of Starlehrer is maybe that she did not acknowledge the source of style in her worksheet.  Or even better would have been for her to send a copy to you, infoming you of her intention through private messenger before submitting it to printables.

So, I personnally think you are being a little harsh and possessive.  The copying of content is stealing.  Copying the style of a dress is stealing, but I think in this case your idea has been adapted to make a different exercise - this is not stealing but adapting.

Don �t know if others will agree or not

2 Apr 2009     

hanhxuanthao
Vietnam

I agreed with Logos ... 

2 Apr 2009     

Ivona
Serbia

I �m with you, Logos. I thought that by uploading a worksheet we shared everything that goes along with it. Every day i see posts of people complaining about being �robbed � by other members. So what?? The moment one decides to upload a worksheet, it becomes everyone�s, and not theirs and only theirs so that they start claiming the rights and acknowledgments and what else not when someone takes advantage of the idea. It seems we are no different from any other human being on this planet, however we tried to �seem � different by calling ourselves teachers.

P.S. I�m not in favour of someone just taking someone else�s work and uploading it as theirs. I do not encourage that. But on the other hand, why not? Once the day is out, the worksheet is forgotten. Once someone uploads it second time, it means it�s good and more people will have it and use it and more STUDENTS will benefit from it. To quote a Cambridge presenter at a seminar, when he told us about her daughter asking him "Dad, is it wrong to be rich?", he replied with "It�s not bad as long as you share the wealth." If you are too possessive of your ideas, like i am of some of my own, then don�t share them. Keep them to yourself and get all the credits. That�s what i do. Cool

EDIT: I think that the problem lies in the fact that someone else and not Me, the Author, will get the POINTS.

2 Apr 2009     

Helen McK
Ireland

I beg to differ, Logos,

I work as hard on the style of my worksheets as I do on the content.  It would take me far less time to put my worksheets together if I just copied another teacher�s layout.   Do you think it would be OK for me to copy the very distinctive style of Katiana�s worksheets, for example? In my opinion, that would be totally wrong! 

2 Apr 2009     

douglas
United States

I �m sorry Helen, but I �m with Logos and Ivona on this one.  The content is totally different and it is for the betterment of teaching English. The purpose of this site is to share, by posting your WS, you agreed to share it.  I think you should be flattered that someone liked your idea so much. 

Personnally, I think starlehrer should have consulted with or at least credited you for the style, but I don �t think she had to.

2 Apr 2009     

Logos
Malaysia

Then we must differ.  I produce quite a number of PowerPoint designs for jigsaw and other games and they are distinctively mine.  But they are designed so that others may take them and add their own content - I have no problem with that and whilst I would not totally agree with Ivona that once uploaded a contribution is now �theirs � I do not really think we can copyright or claim exclusive ownership of a style or design of worksheet - content yes, but not style; otherwise someone uploading a 3 x 4 table with words in each box could claim that design was exclusively theirs and no one else could use it. 

I know that is a ridiculous example, but your claim to be the only one to use this design is setting this sort of precedent.

Please, let us not fall out over this, we have different opinions and I would hate this issue to stifle your creativity and talent in producing new designs in the future

2 Apr 2009     

Ivona
Serbia

I didn �t mean �theirs � as in �theirs, so they can put their names next to it �. And as i added in my p.s. i do NOT encourage or support plagiarism ... I would add more to the subject, but i �ll miss my bus to school if i do that. 

2 Apr 2009     

Victoria-Ladybug
Israel

I also agree with Logos.

2 Apr 2009     

Logos
Malaysia

You do have a point and whilst imitation may be the greatest form of flattery it can also be the greatest source of laziness and taking the easy way out. (Not that I am suggesting this is what Starlehrer is doing)  But to be honest, I don �t have a creative bone in my body and can only admire what others can produce and then I get inspired to adapt and make similar worksheets based on others ideas.  I have uploaded a few worksheets that have been based on designs of other contributors - even got accused of the same thing of stealing the design, but in every case I contacted the originator first and they gave permission to use it.

So, may I compromise and say that for distinctive designs (not just 3 text boxes) we should be polite enough to contact the originator and inform of your intention.  Like Douglas said, we don �t HAVE to, but I think it would be polite.

2 Apr 2009     

eng789
Israel

I  think that starlehrer could have been a bit more sensitve and at least changed the colours.
You are always talking about recognizing someones wss by their personal style,  but her starlehrer  as taken on Helen �s .  Why doesn �t she find her own?

2 Apr 2009     

1    2    Next >