Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Black and white rules    

Black and white rules

PhilipR
Thailand

Black and white rules

There are hundreds of wonderful worksheets on this site. Often, contributors embellish their worksheets with all kinds of graphics, photos, fonts etc. The use of colour also seems to attract supplementary downloads.

I (and possible many others), however, prefer b/w worksheets since I don �t have a colour printer (and even if I had one, I wouldn �t want to waste money printing everything in colour).

Unfortunately, many ws sport a plethora of tints (and lots of dark areas that waste ink) that don �t print nor copy well, so often I have to transform the lot into b/w before printing.

Would it be possible to post ws in both colour an b/w (if 300 kB limit is not reached)?

3 Apr 2009      

wingyourdreams
Vietnam

I think this is easy. WORD has the function to make your worksheet black and white. And once you have the soft copy of the downloaded colour, you can to some extent, adjust it to suit your usage and printing requirements. Have a nice weekend! 

3 Apr 2009     

Nuria08
Spain

Hi Philip,

You are right. I am one of those who upload their worksheets in many colours and I understand that when you print them in B&W they are not the same. I �ll try to upload both the colour and the B&W version of the worksheets. The only problem are the images. I mostly take them from google and I don �t know how to change them to B&W. Do you know how?

Anyway, if you need any of my worksheets in B&W and I can do it, I �ll surely send it to you.

Have a nice day!

Nuria

3 Apr 2009     

goodguy
Zambia

Hi,
We �d appreciate that as it saves lot of ink.
usually i try to remove all the background colour and pictures whenever necessary to save ink but it consumes lot of time and sometimes i am not successfull.
Looking forward to see the ws in blank and white.

Have a great day.
Jostus

3 Apr 2009     

ameliarator
United States

I completely agree!

Sometimes I think I should add color to my worksheets before I post them, because that makes them prettier and more noticeable, but myself only use B&W. �Nice to know others feel the same.

For this reason I especially appreciate worksheets from teachers like ImLety and Pika, who make beautiful contributions that are not only in black and white but also don �t use to much ink.

3 Apr 2009     

Sereny
Latvia

Nuria,
one of the ways how to change pictures to black and white in Word is this: right click on the picture, choose �Show Picture Toolbar � if it is not already visible, then click the second button from the left of it called �Color � and choose grayscale. You can also select all pictures by clicking the arrow button next to the Autoshapes button and change all pictures at once this way. I don �t know if there any other way to make ws black and white.
Have a nice day:)
Ieva

3 Apr 2009     

susiebelle
United States

I also feel the same way about black and white downloads.  Most of us use these downloads for classroom hand-outs  and it helps to have only BLACK-LINE COPY MASTERS.  I have sent a few things here in black-line copy master form but found that hardly anyone downloaded them. (See my original black-line number chants) These chants weren �t even noticed here until I changed the graphics to color. 

3 Apr 2009     

eng789
Israel

I also prefer black and white. 

3 Apr 2009     

sirenriver
Turkey

yes ı also prefer  b&w versions .....saving  is good......

3 Apr 2009     

aftab57
United Kingdom

Their is nothing wrong with colour worksheets but I agree with the opinions expressed so far. We have to remember that not all colleagues have access to facilities that we might take for granted like colour printers and secondly in many cases across the globe they most surely have limited budgets for photocopying etc. So I think B/W worksheets are order of the day.

3 Apr 2009     

maggiejeria
Chile

PhilipR:
I agree with you , because I have the same problem.
Thanks a lot for sharing your dissapointment.....
maggie

3 Apr 2009