Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Flashcards!!!!!    

Flashcards!!!!!

Damielle
Argentina

Flashcards!!!!!

Shouldn �t we revise the concept of flashcard????

I mean, I �ve seen many people uploading nice pics with their labels considering them "flashcards". But in fact is not other thing than just uploading some clipart. Writing a label doesn �t take the same time than preparing a worksheet so it may be unfair to get points from that type of upload.

My suggestion is to consider that flashcards should accompany a worksheet,. Then. we �ll have the option of downloading the whole set, the worksheet or just the flashcards. But the uploader would have demosntrated the abitility to create a comprehensive activity, including such flashcards.

What do you think???

Note: don �t consider that I �m talking about any specific flashcard, please!!! i �m just thinking about a rule that can apply from now on.

9 Apr 2009      

eng789
Israel

Or at least a lesson plan explaining how the flashcard is used to advance the learning process of the lesson.

For example - I use a flashcard/poster of a traffic accident when teaching Past Progressive.  I ask the kids to describe what different people were doing at the time of the accident.  I know there are some wss like that here,  but I like to do the exercise with the whole class before giving them individual work. 

9 Apr 2009     

sirah
Argentina

Yes! i agree because every time I uploaded a set of flashcards I uploaded it together with a ws.That is the way I work in my classes.

hugs
Patricia

9 Apr 2009     

kikins
Brazil

There is a difference when people upload a set of flashcards, like occupations, clothes, animals etc... and when people upload just one clipart and say it �s a single flashcard. It �s not "wrong", but it �s just not useful.

I particularly love the sets of flashcards and the pictionaries. They have frames, they are organized, they have a specific style, and we can use it to play games, such as memory game or snap.

It �s not a case of forbiding flashcards; if we just don �t download it, the user won �t get points and they will realise that it �s not what other users are looking for.

When we download ws that are not ESL material or are against the rules, we are encouraging those users. When something seems "off", just don �t download it.

9 Apr 2009     

isaserra
Portugal

Hi,

Sirah when you say "I uploaded a set of flashcards I uploaded it together with a ws.", do you mean a ws with exercises? Because if you do, I don �t think we all use worksheet with the flashcards, at least I don �t....

Many times, I use flashcards to introduce vocabulary or to play games with my students... If I see a set of flashcards that might be useful for me, I �ll download them even if they don �t have any lesson plan or instruction to be used... I think that each one of us has a purpose in mind when he/she downloads the set...

I think that we should be allowed to upload flashcards even if they don �t have a worksheet to go with. However, it also depends on the kind of flaschcards... If it just a picture with a word or with no words, I don �t think they should be considered flashcards...

If you look at some set of flashcards, it is possible to see that the person has a lot of work preparing them...

Hugs

9 Apr 2009     

sirah
Argentina

I agree with you isaserra! what i mean is that every time I prepared a set of flashcards to use in my classes I prepared a ws too,and I only uploaded those sets that have an activity to work with.I have lots of flashcards but I didn �t upload them because as you say I use them to introduce vocabulary or to play games with my students and I don �t have a written activity for them.I think that every time someone uploads a set of flashcards it should be accompany by a worksheet or a lesson plan explaining how to use them.Then it �s up to each of us how we use them.This way (as damielle said)

"the uploader would have demonstrated the abitility to create a comprehensive activity, including such flashcards."
It was just an opinion,maybe this way we stop people uploading just clip arts and calling them "flashcards"
hugs

9 Apr 2009     

Damielle
Argentina

When I was talking about the sense of uploading isolated worksheets I was not talking about the use of them. I mean, I proposed revising the meaning of flashcards here in this site because we are meant to upload elaborated wss and not just mere clipart. If we want to use flashcards in class, we can easily get the pics from the net and even from sites that offer flashcards. But here, there are some members who only upload clipart, pictures and graphics by naming them "flashcards"

11 Apr 2009