Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Past Continuous    

Past Continuous

Kate (kkcat)
Russian Federation

Past Continuous

Hello dear colleagues!
I have some confusion about using Past Continuous Confused. Can we use Past Continuous  in both parts of the following sentence: When he was watching TV, he was eating crisps.
Using Past Continous in both parts of this sentence seems ok to me (though it �s pretty late here now and maybe I �m just"seeing things" lol) Or we have to use Past Simple in one part and Past Continuous in another as stated in some grammar references? Thank you in advance! Hug

10 Apr 2009      

wolfy
Chile

I think it �s OK as both actions are happening symultaneasly.

10 Apr 2009     

anatavner
Israel

I would say: " While he was watching TV, he was eating crisps." And then it won �t sound weird in such late hours....

Good night!
Anat

10 Apr 2009     

lubel
Spain

HI KKCAT!
In this case , both actions are simultaneous, so both of them must be used in past continuous; because they happen at the same time and there is not interruptions.
GOOD NIGHT  Sleepy 

10 Apr 2009     

nkappa
Greece

Well I think that is correct and it has a meaning... But grammaticaly it �s better to say
"While he was watching TV, he was eating ...."
2 actions happening at the same time.
I hope I �ve been of some help!

10 Apr 2009     

Kate (kkcat)
Russian Federation

Thank you so much for your quick replies !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hug

10 Apr 2009     

_babz
Canada

hmm..

from what I know......Past continuous is often used with while (duration) and when (moment). You also see the simple past being used with the past continuous, and when the action is brief, you �d use the simple past, if the action is much longer you �d use the past continuous.
What you �ve seen in a lot of exercises is this:

ex:When you entered the door, I was making breakfast.
>here you have one short action, that interferes with the long one...
OR
ex:I was making breakfast while you were setting the table
>here you have two long actions happening at the same time...

some teacher �s say if it follows "when" put it in the simple past and "while", put it the past continuous. And you can �t go wrong with that tip, but it �s not always the case.

ex: When Sarah was watching tv, Jill called.

hope that helps..

10 Apr 2009     

Kate (kkcat)
Russian Federation

thank you!!!YOu all have helped a lot Smile

11 Apr 2009