Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > One of the drawback of this marvellous site....    

One of the drawback of this marvellous site....

Ivona
Serbia

@ source
Would you call it a drawback if you and the class teacher used the same grammar book to explain a rule or do an exercise? or the same video? or the same flash cards? or ...  Smile I don �t think the problem lies in the materials.
Btw, i love you all, although you may think otherwise! I �m off to the wilderness and being wild! Weeeee!

11 Apr 2009     

alien boy
Japan

Many �regular � teachers I �ve known would be more than a little annoyed to be having a private teacher calling them regularly to validate teaching materials & curriculum - they generally feel (rightly) that they have more than enough work to do & that the private �teacher � should have enough knowledge & be competent enough to do their job without needing a �real � teacher to hold their hand! (I also agree with this perspective)

Have fun in the wilderness Ivona! How long are you going away? 40 years of wandering????

11 Apr 2009     

Naranjas
Russian Federation

I don �t want to offend private teachers nor I want to take anyone �s side. I just want to say that private teachers in most cases aren �t really controlled especially when parents aren �t good in English. So it �s a matter of their conscience if they really try to help the child or just spend the hour doing exercises in textbook and workbook(I heard and met myself too many of such cases to say that they are quite real).
All teachers are supposed to find individual approach to every pupil. But I think you �d agree that in a class of twenty there are many cases when the teacher doesn �t have an opportunity to do it. Especially if he/she has 7 lessons a day with different classes. From 50 to 90 per cent of the time he/she just gives the same material to everybody and then tries to help those who can �t get it and give smth developing to do to the bright ones.
As for the private �teachers I think they must�(yes I �m quite aware that this word has a strong meaning) take an individual approach, that �s what they �re being paid for - to help this very child not some �average one. So when they don �t actually do it and even don �t try and just do the tasks from the textbook, when they don �t bother to find out if the child understood the topic or not - it �s very-very-very �disturbing. Though I don �t blame anybody, I just share my impressions - quite personal thing they are...

11 Apr 2009     

Vickiii
New Zealand

I teach in cclassrooms and have also worked as a private tutor.

As a private tutor I would ask the student what they were currently working on and then provide my own 1 on 1 activities.  I would go over a test with a child that they had already done and we would find their strengths and weaknesses and study the weaknesses to make sure they would pass next time.  I would also go over their homework with them - and we would work around it (I would never provide answers but give related examples until the child was confident - then they have to go do their homework by themselves.  I would also look over homework they had attempted before class - and help them find the errors - they would have to correct it though - not me!

I think their are good and bad teachers in tution and classrooms - but I would say that if your child tells you they have already done a worksheet - and you are the tutor - think of something else to do and just deal with it!

cheers
V

12 Apr 2009     

< Previous   1    2